Go Back   Polykarbon Art Forum > COMMUNITY > Member's Lounge > Member Photos
Register FAQ Members List Arcade IRC Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-25-2008, 06:49 AM   #1
hezzart
Blue Katamari

Send a message via MSN to hezzart
Default I make photo's too!

Hey everyone, I thought it would be nice to share some shots of my latest new hobby. Next to playing the guitar this is another reason that I took a break of actively doing illustrations. Artblocks suck, so you find for new ways to express yourself creatively. I'm glad drawing is coming back to me some more again, this break was quite good for me. A new oppertunity to start fresh again, you could say!

I use a old Canon T70 35mm SLR, I just love the toning of film and the feel of using film. I'm looking into developing B&W film at home soon, I've got a tube of Ilford standing here, waiting for some developer! Now and then I'll just use the digital camera we have at home for snapshots and throw them into PS for some tuning.

First up: I'll start off with the first photographs I took when I started getting more serious. This was about a year ago at a festival here in Holland (city of Rotterdam) called Motel Mozaique.

First thing I noticed afterwards was how hard it was to get good tones out of color film in low-light occasions, especially when you don't know which film to use yet. B&W film can easily be push-developed. Also during the festival, I kindof missed zooming. I had only taken my 50mm lens with me which is portable and goes to f1.4, the zoom lens only goes to f2.8 which would be a bit horrible for the zoom lens at the time. At the time, I didn't know much about choosing film, so this was mostly practise for me. Both B&W film and color were standard ISO400. Right now, for color film I mostly use higher ISO values for concerts like Fuji Superia.

But here some of the ones that came out okay. Note though, these are just prints from the shop that I scanned in. The dust is quite visible in some shots.

One of the festival art-performers: Zombie girl.

Yura Yura Teikoku and his cool Longhorn bass.

Jamie Lidell's band: lucky timing.

Be Your Own Pet (RIP)

hezzart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2008, 09:30 AM   #2
Iconostential
Karbonite

Lovely shots - and I'm super jealous for you getting to see Jamie Lidell live. What an awesome musician.

I absolutely adore the second shot you took of his band, and the photo of Jemina Pear. Very striking shots.

- Abraham Lincoln

Iconostential is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2008, 09:58 AM   #3
fshoo`
For sure.

Send a message via MSN to fshoo`

I saw him (Jamie Lidell) live at the Lowlands festival, I love the guy. He was there alone though, no band. Just him with his soundsystem.
Nice photographs, I love the picture of your camera. Also a very nice camera you got there

fshoo` is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2008, 01:53 PM   #4
SlashArtist
Бегемот

Send a message via AIM to SlashArtist Send a message via MSN to SlashArtist

Those are really cool. I saw Jamie Lidell last May, he put on quite the show.
SlashArtist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2008, 03:51 PM   #5
hezzart
Blue Katamari

Yeah, Jamie Lidell and the band we're just awesome! I was a bit hesitant whether I before the show and what to think of it, but man what a lovely funk! The Rotterdam Schouwburg was just shaking up and down of people dancing, partly because of the removable platform we were on but I'm quite sure not every band would have had that effect. Quite a feat!

Anyway.

NEXT UP (I'm going to go through my past photos chronological)

Here are some shots from a roadtrip to France that I did with some friends. We mainly went for a festival in Paris called Villette Sonique, which was a host this year for awesome bands like Mission of Burma, Melt Banana, Shellac, Bottomless Pit and DEVO, which I sadly didn't have the chance to see because they played a couple of days earlier. Would have loved to see those suits playing Mongoloid!

We have a couple of videos online of our roadtrip, there are still a couple WIP (for a while already) of stuff like guitar jamming and walking in Paris. The video's can be seen here: look for videos of The Enthusiasts or Mission of Burma.

Sadly, no good shots of Melt Banana and Shellac because again I forgot to take my zoom-lens with me.. and only B&W shots because I didn't feel comfortable with color film yet.

Two of the four traveling companions:

Roger en Peter from MoB:

Bottomless Pit:

MoB in action:

Old 10-25-2008, 05:09 PM   #6
Kwiix
The Horror

Default R

Nice shots. Hezz!

I love the quality of real film shots. The character the shots take is perfect for the type of photos you're shooting.

Post more.
Old 10-28-2008, 05:01 PM   #7
hezzart
Blue Katamari

Alright, so NEXT UP:

Some shots at a free festival in Rotterdam, had some really cool bands there (Blood Red Shoes, DeVotchka, Trigger Finger, O'Death etc) but didn't photograph all of 'em. Sometimes, when there's an awesome band you just want to enjoy the music even if you're in the press-pit.

Fretboard on Blood Red Shoes somewhat overexposed:

Old 10-30-2008, 01:57 AM   #8
DynastyX
rockin' bodies!

the only gripe i have about your photos are the constant use of black and white, i believe black and white is the ultimate cop out, but all your shots look nice, even the color ones.
DynastyX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 01:23 PM   #9
hezzart
Blue Katamari

Remember, this is chronological and what I began with. These day I'm really exploring the use of color film. You'll get to see a couple more posts dominated by B&W (which I just love nevertheless, gives you a lot of focus when you want to have something stick out and just BEAUTIFUL grain) but color film is definitely getting used these days and we'll get to that, I don't want to dump too much in such a short period.

What does cop out mean btw? I don't think I've ever heard the term.
Old 11-04-2008, 02:40 PM   #10
hezzart
Blue Katamari

Here's some color film then

NEXT UP:

These shots are from a schooltrip to berlin, I've always loved this city. If any of you ever get the chance to go to Berlin, take it.

Dude on bike, rides behind us for atleast an hour. Seems to love the rear-end of boring busses.

The hotel balcony with fellow students and friends.

Old 11-04-2008, 03:02 PM   #11
afroXcore
Not here, not now.

Send a message via AIM to afroXcore Send a message via Skype™ to afroXcore

very nice shots.
Old 11-04-2008, 03:51 PM   #12
muzz
karbogasm

Quote:
Originally Posted by DynastyX
the only gripe i have about your photos are the constant use of black and white, i believe black and white is the ultimate cop out, but all your shots look nice, even the color ones.
Imho, thats not true, i think that there is just as much creative range in using b & w in a photo as in a colour photo. It makes the picture more focused and takes out all the unnessesary detail you dont need. Im sure you agree that the colours in most band photos suck because of the lighting, so the black and white imo is something very awesome.

Hezz, to cop oout pretty much means a bad excuse.

Freaking nice photos you have here mate. I ussually dont like photography biut these shots are awesome.

Last edited by muzz : 04-08-2010 at 06:17 AM. Reason: fixing my bad spelling years later even
muzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 08:37 PM   #13
afroXcore
Not here, not now.

there's something about film photos, there's a beauty in them i can't really define
Old 11-04-2008, 09:01 PM   #14
Threes
umop episdn

Send a message via AIM to Threes Send a message via MSN to Threes Send a message via Yahoo to Threes

6th photo down of the last post made me think about an advertisement... are you a photographer or photojournalist as a career?
Old 11-05-2008, 12:26 AM   #15
Kwiix
The Horror

Default R

I love the look of your shots. I already mention how your non-digital camera give your shots character that I just love. But it's not just that, you have a way of getting very candid and intimate shots, the depth of field is right on, and your subjects are always very interesting to look at.

Nice, Hezz!
Old 11-05-2008, 01:22 AM   #16
DynastyX
rockin' bodies!

Quote:
Originally Posted by muzzoid
Imho, thats not true, i think that there is just as much creative range in using b & w in a photo as in a colour photo. It makes the picture more focused and takes out all the unnessesary detail you dont need. Im sure you agree that the colours in most band photos suck because of the lighting, so the black and white imo is something very awesome.
this would be so true if so many people didn't use B & W to cover up for bad photography, I mean certain shots looks good in black and white, take hezz's photos for example, but imagine if i took a picture of a cookie and made it b & w to make it more artistic/
Old 11-05-2008, 05:42 AM   #17
afroXcore
Not here, not now.

dude, it's all about sepia.
Old 11-05-2008, 10:23 AM   #18
DynastyX
rockin' bodies!

lol! I really love the photo quality.
Old 11-06-2008, 11:02 AM   #19
hezzart
Blue Katamari

Thanks guys

I wen't to see Lightning Bolt (plus 2 other bands, forgot the names. One was a duo as well from the USA) yesterday but could only make 2 shots. First off the band started really late (bassguitar failed to make noisy noise, I'm guessing the input-lip broke) and we had to leave before it even really started to catch a bus. Second, I forgot I has a 26 shots roll instead of 36..

Film con #1, forgetting you've got film

Quote:
Originally Posted by afroXcore
dude, it's all about sepia.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sxey
6th photo down of the last post made me think about an advertisement... are you a photographer or photojournalist as a career?
Nope, just hobby. I visit a lot of concerts with a friend (but he does video) just for our Vimeo projects. When the eventual magazine-plans shows up we'll have some images to use.

Quote:
Originally Posted by afroXcore
there's something about film photos, there's a beauty in them i can't really define
It's the vinyl - CD discussion.

I would love to have a good DSLR, but that would mean I'd need to save up at least €1000 for a kit to be happy with. Like I've said before I love the tone of film, it has an authentic feel to it like listening to vinyl records. It's adds a magical warmth to a picture. High-end DSLR's have the advantage of sharpness and a sort of 'dynamic feel' to it that lends well to certain cases. And of course the ease of post-processing.

Last edited by hezzart : 11-06-2008 at 11:16 AM.
Old 11-23-2008, 03:39 PM   #20
hezzart
Blue Katamari

Some recent digital photos, guitar glamor shots.

I don't have a good digital camera, so they always need heavy post-editing. I like to emulate old-film colors with digital photos and exaggerate the image to make it all pop more. On film, I can get a good enough DOF (f1.4 lens and macro lens) to get some good bokeh. Digitally, I can't get that so need other ways to make them a bit more interesting.

A tip for everyone, not just avid photographers, you can get some really interesting photos just by playing with the curves in PS or even auto-correcting it.

"Stop the neurotic bomb" & "I hate disco"