Go Back   Polykarbon Art Forum > GALLERY > Sketchbooks
Register FAQ Members List Arcade IRC Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-13-2009, 09:11 AM   #1
astrapho
One of 'em crazies

Awards Showcase
1st Place:  - Issue reason: When Hell Freezes Over Contest '11 Boss Battle Contest - Winner: 1st place - Issue reason: Beat the scariest boss into a pulp 1st Place:  - Issue reason: Over Dramatic Contest '10 
Total Awards: 3

Send a message via Skype™ to astrapho
Default M-A-A-A-DNESS WITH 3 As (ART RUT OVER ON 7/4)

Yes I haven't been posting. But hell yeah I've been drawing. My scanner spoilt and I thought I'd wait till I fix it. But I can't take it anymore.

Phone camera. Some quality problems (stupid foreshortening due to non-straight on angle), but... Well, I can't take it anymore. I've been away for far too long and I don't wish to plateau while I'm still such a noob.

23 pics in chronological order over 1 1/2 months.

(aforementioned camera angle foreshortening problem... The body looks smaller in the real pic)

I was actually trying to practice arm muscles... But I couldn't resist completing the body.

Moar characters. The little words is me trying to memorize chemical symbols.

Studies studies and studies... I need an anatomy encyclopedia!!

Shaddup I watched Monty Python

Trying to draw figures without any guidelines of any sort.

Designing an armor. It started out as a simple head. Then I got inspired.

Sketching classmates. These took around half a min-1 min.

Wonder if any medieval knights irl actually did that.

If you recognize the names, I love you.

Chars. I never got around to finishing that face.

I look top hats... And I thought my teacher's foot looked purty so I tried to draw it. But she kept walking around.

I needed some ABS maayn.

Portrait of a cousin.

I sketched my classmates lol. They never noticed. Half a min to 1 min, except for that random char in the middle.

Sketching classmates.

More imagination stuff.

Characters.

C&C is wanted and appreciated!

I just realized that I have no idea how to draw the figure-mannequin thing. I almost always never really follow my mannequins when drawing the figure.

And I have no idea how to draw a girl.

Last edited by astrapho : 04-06-2012 at 02:04 PM.
astrapho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 12:28 PM   #2
Threes
umop episdn

Send a message via AIM to Threes Send a message via MSN to Threes Send a message via Yahoo to Threes

great example of studies!! i love them
Old 08-13-2009, 01:32 PM   #3
fshoo`
For sure.

Send a message via MSN to fshoo`

You show great potential The way you draw the poses are often better than most of the artists here on pk I think. All that's left is some more anatomy-knowledge, but hey, one can never have enough!

It's a pleasure to see your work, I hope you'll keep this dedication.

fshoo` is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2009, 11:04 AM   #4
astrapho
One of 'em crazies

Awards Showcase
1st Place:  - Issue reason: When Hell Freezes Over Contest '11 Boss Battle Contest - Winner: 1st place - Issue reason: Beat the scariest boss into a pulp 1st Place:  - Issue reason: Over Dramatic Contest '10 

Thanks!

Yeah I'm thinking I should get some sort of anatomy encyclopedia... I wasn't kidding. But I don't know which to get, there are just so many and I don't know which is good. Any recommendations?

An image from yesterday's dump which I forgot to put on here. D:

I actually wanted to try to digipaint... But the tool used was pencil. Fail.

This is actually quite an old drawing, but I'm not sure if I posted it. It's the second bike I ever drew in my life, and was reffed.
Old 08-17-2009, 09:41 AM   #5
astrapho
One of 'em crazies

Awards Showcase

I did portraits. I think it's obvious which one was a self portrait.

I recycled some paper... The guy on the top left was a very old sketch. Some hands, a bike (I really suck at vehicles!) and some crap perspective stuff.

The only move that can be considered an uber move. I'm not making it up. There is a counter, but it doesn't leave much hope! D:

Trying to figure out perspectives. Yes I read tuts, but... I can't do it! >.<

It would be great if you guys pointed out what's wrong with my attempts at perspective. I have no idea how to start even after reading a crapload of tuts and doing a crapload of fail sketches.

Last edited by astrapho : 08-17-2009 at 09:53 AM.
Old 08-17-2009, 10:00 AM   #6
Noir Proxy
My jinx is occupied!

Send a message via MSN to Noir Proxy Send a message via Skype™ to Noir Proxy

Cool stuff with loads of potential

Question. In the portraits is the bottom left one the guy from youtube that did the leave britney alone videos? :-p
Old 08-17-2009, 11:53 AM   #7
Billov
Digimonk

Awards Showcase
3rd Place:  - Issue reason: Over Dramatic Contest '10 
Total Awards: 1

Send a message via MSN to Billov Send a message via Skype™ to Billov

Don't be ridiculous, obviously thats Astrapho's self portrait

Man I can hardly believe you're 15, when I was 15 I was drawing crappy pointy anime faces >_>
Great to see you've started with real anatomy studies so early. A few little things outta wack, but its all looking nice and natural and nice lines and shading.

I've got a book on perspective at home that I really need to look at. Seems like you've got the basic idea. I'd say try find some reference images of buildings/architecture and try and plot out all the vanishing points. There can be more than 3... and different objects can take different vanishing points on different planes....... yes it can get really complicated but just start with some simple refs.
~MyDevART don't expect frequent updates
~my weird music Latest track: Crayonbreath
Billov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 04:14 AM   #8
astrapho
One of 'em crazies

Awards Showcase

Thanks for the comments guys!

LOL Billov, I just found a really old piece from two years ago.

I mean really, if I hadn't found polykarbon I'll still be drawing crap like that. xD xD So grateful to you people.

And thanks, I think I'll try that out in my next update.

@Noir: OMG YES HE'S ACTUALLY RECOGNIZABLE!!! -victory dance-

Anyway, I'll start out with the worst: LINED PAPER.
Because they're photographs, I decided I'll only take part of the page and focus on one drawing at a time because it's unclear enough without me taking the pic from far away.

Little fight scenes from imagination. The second one was actually from quite a while back compared to the first... I made some adjustments to it though so it didn't suck that hard.

Trying to reconcile human figures with perspective lines... Fail. xp

Chars, and an armor ref (greaves).

More chars... With me sketching my friend's pencilcase because I thought it was so cute.

Trying to decide on my char's armor at last. Plus an armor ref (arm armor).

I just read Angelo's (not Michelangelo) manual for smallsword... And omg the "dudes" look ghei. @.@

A giant giving superman teh fingur.

Random random.

Random random.

C&C greatly appreciated. Please point out any whacky anatomy... And if possible recommend an anatomy encyclopedia online because my mom won't buy me any. x-x
Old 09-08-2009, 12:44 AM   #9
astrapho
One of 'em crazies

Awards Showcase

HAHAH I'M BAAAAAAAAAAAAAACK

More mayhem to come.

Old 09-08-2009, 06:50 AM   #10
rhui-
Karbonite

whoa, I love ur anatomy studies here man, and even the facial expression of that girl on image #25

keep it up!

btw, do u study any figure drawing books?

my deviantArt page
rhui- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2009, 04:51 AM   #11
black300
hopefully talented xD

Really cool stuff.... i love your anatomy study .....
and that archer in your last post really impressed me....
Old 09-16-2009, 09:12 AM   #12
astrapho
One of 'em crazies

Awards Showcase

@rhui- : Yeah, I have Loomis's figure drawing book (-cough- in pdf -cough-). It's been a great help so far, but like I mentioned, if possible, I want to get a real anatomy encyclopedia.

Speaking of anatomy, I haven't done studies in ages... Exams confine my doodlings only to school so I have no real refs besides my classmates. :( But once exams are over, you can expect pure anatomy dumps hehh hehh hehehehe.

(but seriously, I feel I need to buck up. :P )

black300: Thanks!! (You need to do moar anatomy studies, buddy! xD )

Right!!! I just did more sketches. Hah. Hahaha. AHAH!

-breaktime!-

(Drew this in the stationary shop, you know, the where you test out the pens. Lololol)

-breaktime over-

-Breaktime!-

Rant time! This guy, the husband of legendary cellist Jacqueline du Pre, abandoned her and had a mistress when Jackie went through hell with her multiple sclerosis (Which rendered her physically unable to play cello ever again, which is bloody sad because, seriously, when she plays cello it's like you're listening to raw emotion right there)! Of course, after her death, and people found out, I'm sure Mr Barenboim here has gotten countless death threats...

But he does have awesome hair.

Alright, breaktime over!

(ballpoint pen lol)

TA-DAAAAA

-attempts to bow but trips over own foot-

Special thanks to Muzz for givin' some links to some great ref sites. That's where most of my women came from.

I think I'll do female studies next... Just need to get some time when my parents AREN'T watching. Or they'll be like, "OMFG Pr0n GET YOUR ARSE OFF THE COMPUTER MISSY".
Old 09-16-2009, 03:01 PM   #13
Billov
Digimonk

Awards Showcase

S3xy pr0nz as always. Norly, its hard to tell whats reffed and whats not. Your sketches have a great fluidity to them, you must pick up a lot from all the sword training technique. I remember I learned a little when I did Kung Fu for a while.

How about that grab/throw in the last page? Is that reffed? Hand to hand combat is HARD to dr4wwzzz srsly

The cheeky life drawings are nice. Ballpoints FTW. But maybe I said that before ^^

One thing, What direction do you plan on taking your art in? Your animations are good, but starting full blown animation at this stage is just a pain. Drawing the same thing but slightly different over and over... I would have done animation in college if it weren't for that. Maybe its too big a question right now. Back when I was a youngster I had this stupid ambition of becoming a mangaka. Now I realize that most manga is crap and annoying, and I would never have the patience to keep up a series. Graphic novels are a nicer format imo

PS: if you're looking for non-pr0ns female refs, maybe try digging out a fashion magazine. Every household has them right?
Old 09-28-2009, 11:08 PM   #14
astrapho
One of 'em crazies

Awards Showcase

@Billov: Thanks for nice commentz

I refused to reply without an update... Which came a few weeks late? :(

Lol yes omg hand to hand combat is hard to draw because of all the crazy foreshortening and footwork and xtreme body mechanix at work... That one wasn't reffed, lol, but I really don't think it'll work in an unarmed combat situation. (They were supposed to have swords, y'see... @_@)

Tbh I have no idea what direction I want to take my drawing in. Right now I just want to ficus on being able to draw pro figures from imagination and maybe start learning to draw environments and vehicles next... Everything else? Uhh... Well let's see how it goes. =9 But seriously, I want to go for animation or game design... At least concept art. I also started out about 2 years ago deciding that I want to be a manga artist, but discarded it for similar reasons. x3

I had a lot more little 30 sec speed sketches of real life peepz. But unfortunately, guess what. MY SKETCHBOOK GOT STOLEN WTF. I have about 3 sketchbooks in my school bag, and one (which was close to finished) just disappeared! I left it alone in class for ONE PERIOD (Thought it would be fine since the classroom was being used), and when I come back it's GONE!!! Omg. I feel hurt, I had a ton of new sketches in there... It's the one with the "Flos Duellatorum" pic. T_T

But though my plans to make a HUGE dump are thwarted, I have some leftovers...

(I hate doing rapier combat, but it's pretty fun to draw... Especially the ballet-like steps and butts sticking out in sissy positions. Lol.)

I try out thumbies

First serious anatomy study dump in a looong time. :p

i've been making drawing perspective lines on random photographs a habit... I think it's helping me understand it better. But I still don't get how someone gets a top 2d layout of a room and turn it into a 3d drawing with perspective lines! Again I tried, but it all fails. I just don't get it! How do you even do that? T_T
Old 09-30-2009, 03:30 AM   #15
fshoo`
For sure.

Send a message via MSN to fshoo`

You're 15?

Screw all the nice words, now I'm jealous.

fshoo` is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 08:32 AM   #16
astrapho
One of 'em crazies

Awards Showcase

@fshoo: Come now, fshoo, you're still 1000x better than me after all. ;-;

OMG IT'S AN UPDATE

(Somehow this one looks...Funny)

(It's a dustpan from different angles!!! (fail))

1st real digipaint of the thread...
Old 10-02-2009, 10:48 AM   #17
Billov
Digimonk

Awards Showcase

Yeah, I'd like to do concept designing as well... I'm hoping Model Making is a broad enough course that I can actually still get work in almost any sort of visual design field... I guess I'll see in 4 years time. And I guess I'll have a better idea of what I'm into by that stage.
Still, I don't want to put you off animation, since you've already got some skillz... but from what I've heard its a complete soul-killing experience. One guy in my course (who spent a year or so doing animation) said he was drawing the Pink Panther for 2 months non-stop and he started having nightmares.

I wish I could give you some tips for doing perspective, but I really need to read up in that area too.
I'd say that those two standing guys in the last penciled page are waayy to long in the legs department.

The digipaint is nice though, fresh and speedy.
Old 10-11-2009, 03:10 AM   #18
astrapho
One of 'em crazies

Awards Showcase

@Billov: Haha thanks for the commentz. Well, if it does work out, do let me know so that I can go for it too!!
Pink Panther gave me pink nightmares of being trapped in a pink world forever and ever amen when I was young, so I think I can understand how he feels... @_@ Tbh, I too can't imagine working on the same characters and piece for two years like the Cencoroll dude without going holycamelz insane... Well I guess I'll wait till I get a proper animation program next time and see how it works out. (I've got Mac flash on my computer... Mac Flash 2004. So it sucks.) So far my interest in animation hasn't been waning (Although it is true that 6 hours of animation equals to 6 seconds of footage and kinda kills it a bit. ;- but I've got no time to do a serious piece. D;

Yeah, I only noticed that after I took the picture. I think it's time to accept the fact that there's no escaping the head-proportion-studies after all. T_T

Anyway, on to the sketch dump. I feel like I'm plateauing, boo hoo. T_T

This Reilly method thing actually works pretty well. :O I should start doing it more.

Damn I should stop slacking on my portraiture work.

The bearded violinist is from the Hagen quartet, my fave quartet of all time. They're seriously amazing, especially cuz they're practically 100% all on tune!

This was a panorama shot because the little comic thing extended across the page. I'm considering making an animation for this short sequence...

I know I know lined paper sucks... But I happened to get inspiration when I had line paper so ;-;

C&C&T are L&A.
Old 10-11-2009, 06:04 AM   #19
black300
hopefully talented xD

great update man..... you impressed me again.....
Old 10-11-2009, 08:09 AM   #20
FlyingChild
Pre-used plaster

You're really good, seriously, it looks to me like you can do about any character in any position with any clothes and still get it right... >.> Perhaps, do you have any finished work? 'Cause I haven't seen much in here :P