Go Back   Polykarbon Art Forum > GALLERY > Writer's Forum
Register FAQ Members List Arcade IRC Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-02-2010, 12:54 PM   #1
TheKosmonaut
dddddamn!

Send a message via AIM to TheKosmonaut
Default TheKosmonaut vs tokenblackguy scene exchange hyeah

Just back from my third day at work for UPS, so I'm super tired. My brain's not operating fully, which means I can't come up with anything super creative. So, I'll just be derivative. Been reading The Walking Dead lately - why not ZOMBIES?

edit: sorry if it's a bit too long. I'll try to keep it shorter in the future.

There's A First Time for Everything...

I woke up this morning with the fleeting intention of paying this month's auto insurance. It must be near the end of the month. I don't even remember where we left the car - somewhere outside the city when it ran out of gas - and I felt the need to make a payment on it. I don't know whether it was wishful thinking or a remnant of some dream about the old life, but I enjoyed that moment. If only I could have my bills back.

A twig snapped underfoot as I passed between the trees outside our campsite. I tried to maintain the quietest footfall possible, wearing only socks, but leaves, twigs, and the like all made that difficult. Crunch, crunch.

And ties, how I missed ties. Most men have only a variety in color but I made sure to buy them in all shapes in sizes. Thin tie days were my favorite days because I always felt fashionably different from my co-workers. Polished shoes were a must as well; I spent much of my free time polishing shoes in the den for presentation's sake. I remember the day I was promoted for just that reason, which is why I never let up. That is, until several months ago.

I came to a complete still. A deer lifted its head in the distance and if I moved, it would scare. It peered right through me - me, still as the trees. A gust rustled the leaves above and below us and when that was over, the deer's head lowered. It walked slowly away from me, as if it were wary of an attack coming from my direction. It was the threatening sound of a hunter's socks.

I took several steps but had to stop again as it looked at me. I would have to be crafty. I waited, then, for it to turn and start walking away again - but this time I did not move. I waited for the wind.

Swwwssshh. And with it, I moved. I could jog a good distance without gaining the deer's attention, though I knew as I got closer it would become more difficult. I hid behind a tree as I saw its head turn. I was too close to pretend to be a sapling. The deer continued on its way and with the wind I gained on it again; this time I was close enough to make the shot.

It lifted its head one more time and I knew I was the last thing it would see. I raised my rifle, aimed down the sights. Breathe in. Hold it. The wind blew at my back. The deer and I were still but I knew if I didn't fire soon it would notice me.

BLAM!

The deer took but a second to disappear into the bushes. Confused, I checked the round in the chamber and it was indeed unfired. I did not pull the trigger. The sound of a gunshot came due south. From...

Oh.

I sprinted as fast as I could, this time bypassing the trees with little bumps and nicks on my arms and shoulders. I could not help it. My son. My son fired his gun. Was it an accident? I stepped on an acorn's point and passed by a bush of needles all without care. In my mind, I ran through all of the possibilities and none of them were good. Even in the best of circumstances, he shot at something for fun and in that case I would have to take the gun away from him. That's the last thing I want, but still let's hope it was that. An accident.

By the time I reached the camp I could see it was no accident. One of them lied still on the ground just aside the tent. I checked to make sure it would not get back up - a habit - and indeed the gunshot wound to the head appeared to have put it down. Its decrepit face smiled back at me as if it died happily. I hope not. Rot in hell, motherfucker.

I heard Jacob in the tent. He was crying. I peeled back the flap. "Hey buddy." He didn't respond, but I could tell what he needed. I crawled inside the tent and sat beside him. He took a moment to look straight into my eyes, just like the doe, then leaned against me and wailed. "Sorry you had to do that, but I'm glad you had your pistol with you."

"I couldn't tell if he was dead, daddy," still sobbing,"I couldn't tell!"

"He was, son. Don't worry yourself over it."

"It feels bad. It feels real bad."

"I know, I know. It was your first time having to do something like that."

The tears were no longer flowing but he still had a cry-hiccup here and there. "When will I get used to it?"

I smiled. "Hopefully never."

"Do I always have to cry?"

A laugh escaped me though I don't know what I was thinking, with him in this condition. "No, not if you don't want to."

A minute passed in pensive silence and his reddened face began to dry. I thought of all the things I wanted to say to him but nothing seemed quite right. "You want to go hunting?"

"No."

"Alright."

"Love you, daddy."

"Love you too, son."

Last edited by TheKosmonaut : 11-02-2010 at 03:40 PM.
TheKosmonaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 03:06 PM   #2
tokenblackguy
Hurp Durp

Send a message via Yahoo to tokenblackguy

Alright, zombies.

Right now I'm actually just passing through and thought I'd see what was going on, but I'll come back tonight and throw some story at ya. Hopefully I'll be able to find something creative to use as our next topic (I'm tired too man, it's hard to be creative when you're tired)

Looking forward to an awesome thread

~token
Old 11-02-2010, 10:24 PM   #3
tokenblackguy
Hurp Durp

Default Fire and Pine

I opened the fridge. Two eggs, half a gallon of milk, a few slices of deli ham; it was the same in every house we went to. There was always food left burning on the stove, or unfinished meals at the table, or the TV left on with the same color bars and static broadcasting on every channel in every house on the eastern seaboard.

"Not much worth taking again." I called over my shoulder to my partner. We had been ransacking every house that looked safe enough to enter, but I knew we weren't the only one's still around. We constantly heard gunshots in the distance and screams in the night. We couldn't help but wonder if they had managed to capture another one.

"There wasn't much in any of the rooms either," Becca said as she walked in the kitchen. She tossed a small revolver on the counter and looked solemnly at me. "There's only two rounds in it though."

"It beats using bats with nails though." I answered. This was the first real weapon she had found in the thirty or more houses we had searched through. It wasn't much, but it would do. And besides; revolver ammo is pretty easy to come by. Or at least that's what I heard.

We moved out of the house and walked into the street. Something about being able to see every house and every nook and cranny down the road made it easier for us to move around neighborhoods like this one. We slowly made our way out of the neighborhood and into the woods where we had set up a camp the night before. It was already starting to get dark and neither of us liked wandering around "civilized" areas at night. With the forest we could set up a small tent and set sticks around that would break if someone stepped on it. It was somewhat of a security system we had developed and it was really one of the only reasons we were both still alive. That and sheer dumb luck.

I sat down near the small fire Becca had made to cook a can of refried beans. She looked at me blankly and then back into the heart of the fire where a single pinecone roasted in the redhot center. I knew what that look was. There wasn't a word that could fully describe it, but I felt it too. We had both lost our families already to them. It was only through a happenstance that we had even met. Two college sophomores, both running for their lives, who just so happened to be sprinting toward the same car to make a quick getaway before they could grab us.

We had never really talked much about our pasts. Something about seeing people around you change makes you not care about anything but what you'll do tomorrow or how to survive today. You never realize how much you miss the taste of mountain dew until you can't find a can of it anywhere in any house you come across...

Crack!

I looked at Becca, and I knew that my eyes were as wide with fear and horror as hers were. I slowly stood and grabbed the bat and revolver. She snatched her crowbar off the log she was leaning against and we both scoured the dark forest for any signs of movement.

Crack!

This time it wasn't the same place as before. I turned to the left; my eyes frantically searching through the thick brush for something that looked like it was moving towards us. Was that an animal? Maybe it was just a racoon...

Cra-crack!

This time I looked at Becca and her expression mimicked mine. We were surrounded but we didn't know how many there were.

I walked past her and put my back to hers; another plan of hers that we had stuck to. As soon as I stopped moving I saw them though. Eyes. Glowing. Red. Hate. Malice. Hunger. Everything was going through them. Each one swirling with the same slush of emotions as the next. I couldn't count how many pairs there were, I just knew that there were too many. My heart skipped a beat as they drew nearer and a few stepped into the dim light of the fire.

"Becca...?" It wasn't so much of a question as it was a parting cry. I knew there was no way we would make it out of this alive.

"The revolver." She said.

"But it only has 2 rounds...we can't..."

"I know." She said.

"Oh."

She slowly walked backwards to face me and I could see the tears in her eyes. She really didn't want to do this as much as I didn't. Her eyes darted back and forth from my own to the approaching monsters behind me. I could see her silently pleading me to do it.

Slowly I raised the revolver and pointed it squarely between her eyes. It was heavy. Heavier than a revolver that small should be. I could see my arm trembling just as much as her lips were. Her baby blue eyes stared back at me, pleading, egging me on, begging me to finish.

"I'm sorry." I said.

And pulled the trigger.

**Ninja Edit: I needed to put a title and forgot so it's there now...Also the next topic is going to be blackmail. I have a short idea in the works but I haven't had time to write it yet. Also I need to study for a test so I'll post it up when I can. Good luck Kos!**

Last edited by tokenblackguy : 11-02-2010 at 10:27 PM. Reason: because i needed to.
tokenblackguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 12:31 PM   #4
tokenblackguy
Hurp Durp

Default Blackmail

The Camera

Lacey looked into his emerald green eyes and was immediately transfixed again. She could never fully extract herself from them no matter how hard she tried. And if she ever cook, his dazzling, ten million dollar smile would drag her into a stupor with its hypnotizing charm.

She finally managed to wrench her eyes from his again and finally she could remember what they had been doing for the last two hours. Dinner and a movie. Not exactly in that order but she couldn't complain. He had cooked her an exquisite chicken alfredo from scratch and then poured her a glass of red wine. She couldn't tell if it was very expensive but it tasted amazing and the alcohol made it easier for her to be straight forward with him instead of the forced reservation she normally held herself to.

"So what'd you think?" He asked her casually pushing his hair back as he always wore it. His smile came back and she knew she had to answer eventually so she decided to just let things play how they may.

"Of what? The evening or you?" She gave him a sly smile, allowing her auburn locks to obscure part of her face.

"Oh don't you draw those curtains," he said and pushed hair back behind her ear. Then he leaned in, "And I meant about the evening of course...but if you want to tell me how I did, that's fine too."

When had he brushed his teeth? She couldn't see a speck of food on them anywhere even though they had just eaten less than an hour ago. His breath even had a hint of mint in it. She looked back at his eyes but knowing she wouldn't be able to keep her composure she settled for his left cheek instead.

"Well, the movie was bad. But you know I hate chick-flicks. As for dinner..." She paused to feel the tension in the air, he wasn't as anxious to hear what she had to say, but she was anxious to see his reaction. "Dinner was pretty good. You should be careful though; you might put Olive Garden out of business."

He laughed at this. Then he slowly took her had from her lap and lightly but firmly grasped it in his own. He looked back up into her eyes and she knew what he was going to ask even before he said it.

"So what sort of thank you do I get?" He gave her a smirk as he asked it.

"Hmm, I don't know, maybe you should come up with something?" She answered him, clearly flirting to the best of her ability.

"Well we could go to my room and check my bed for bedbugs..." he said nonchalantly. She could feel his heart starting to pick up pace. Hers was already racing. Any more of this and she would explode.

"Well what are we sitting her for then?" She asked him with a hint of confusion hidden in her voice. It was so easy to get caught up in him.

He slowly stood, no doubt trying not to look too nervous. She stood next to him and he walked at his tall gaunt yet commanding pace back to his room, her hand held by two fingers the entire way. He opened the door and snapped his fingers. Immediately dim lights illuminated the room. A red satin covered bed was in the middle of the room with amber pillows and dark mahogany bedside tables to accent the colors in the bedspread. He slowly made his way to the side of the bed and turned around. She could see the smirk on his face. She casually shut the door behind her and began to take her shirt off

It wasn't bad, but she'd had better. He was satisfied and so was she so that's all that mattered. She rolled over and began playing with the hair on his chest.

"So..." she began. "I hope you don't think less of me for this..."

He chuckled a bit and then said "Of course not, babe."

"But I need to get back to my apartment and you're my only way there."

"I'll take you back whenever you want." he said giving her his brilliant smile again.

"But before you do that. I need you to smile for me again" She said.

"Well I just did." he chuckled again, and his grin grew larger.

"I know." she said and then she grinned nearly as wide as he had. It was almost to easy with these types of men. "But I need the camera on the back of the door to pick it up so your girlfriend can see it's really you."

***I don't think it's as strong as my first may have been, but it was a weird idea i was tossing around and I don't think I was quite able to fully realize what I wanted it to be without being too lengthy. Good luck Kos, I know you'll do better than me though.

~token
Old 11-03-2010, 12:37 PM   #5
HiddenTruth
unseen

Send a message via Skype™ to HiddenTruth

Wow token, I must say I really liked 'Blackmail'! The ending took me for a loop, even with the title in place. Love that effect. I must say I've enjoyed the exchange so far and I look forward to Kos's next pieces.

HiddenTruth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 03:48 PM   #6
TheKosmonaut
dddddamn!

Blackmail.... hmmmm... OKAY! I've had a few beers so don't expect anything spectacular.

I'll have the next one up tomorrow-ish.

Not that One!

I re-read the letter carefully - every word, as if my life depended on it.

'I now what you did. You wernt careful enough and I found your tracks. Meet me under the rail station at park and central at midnight tonite. You now what to bring.'

I read it again and again. How could anybody know? How could anybody have found out? I noted the spelling mistakes and wondered who may have written it. It couldn't be any of my friends or close co-workers - they were all educated as well as I. A custodian, possibly? Not to be improper, but that seemed the only explanation. Or maybe the spelling errors were done on purpose to throw me off?

I couldn't breathe. I stepped outside into the cool air, knowing I had only an hour to make it to the station. Only an hour, and I had no idea what to bring. What does he want?

So I tossed my entire apartment, searching for the 'what'. I pulled open filing cabinets, tossed the papers, searched my computer for something. Something important. But there was nothing. I was not an important man. Was it money he wanted? I had none. What I had done was not for money. What I had done, I knew was wrong, but gained nothing from it.

Unsatisfied and thoroughly afraid, I pulled open the desk drawer of the device I had used so carefully. So cautiously, thinking I would never be caught. Knowing, now, that to be untrue, I held the device in my hand. Its black grip stayed firmly in my grasp and the gunmetal so reflective I nearly saw myself in it. I had no idea what it was he wanted, but I knew what I needed to bring.

I walked the streets alone, the station only being a few blocks away. Winter was nearing and I could feel it on my turkey-cold skin. I wore a jacket but the winds crept up my sleeves and made me shiver. It was a fitting night for this - people would rather stay in their warm homes, watching television. Nobody watching - unlike last time.

I arrived at the spot and waited. I thought for a moment he wouldn't show - a feeling I wish I could've kept. But in the shadows, his back to the moonlight, I saw the man walk to me from behind a pillar. Rather short in stature, his figure was chilling. I didn't know the man, for sure - for I didn't know anybody that short. So I was indeed confused, but not afraid. I know now why I wasn't afraid --

I pulled the gun from my hip and fired one shot. He fell like a sack of potatoes. I didn't care what he wanted. I simply knew that he knew. That was the only factor in my decision.

As I ran over his body I remember the rush of adrenaline - the same I had felt that night. The night that got me into this. My ears rang and I had a dizzying case of tunnel vision, but that all faded away as I leaned over to study his face.

It was a boy. I killed a little boy. Worse yet, I recognized him. He was Tricia's boy, from across the hall in my apartment building. I remembered all at once the night I visited them at her apartment. He was suspicious of a neighbor having stolen his teddy bear and would hardly speak to me because of it. I was a suspect.

He... He just wanted his bear back.

I kneeled there before his bleeding-out body and began to cry. After some time, I carried myself home, hoping that someday I would be able to forgive myself. No more seeing Tricia, though. That was for certain.

I awoke the next morning feeling oddly relieved. The letter I recieved yesterday had nothing to do with my little accident several months before, and there was no evidence left at either incident. The sun shone through my windows and even as I heard the police enter Tricia's apartment I felt at ease. Nobody would ever know.

That's when I heard a knock on my door. I felt uneasy about it but knew it was probably the police, asking if I had seen the child before he disappeared. No officer, I certainly haven't. Hope you find the kid. His mother's a close friend.

I opened the door to find not the authorities, but a letter. I peered down both ends of the hallway, then picked it up. After shutting my door behind me, I sank down the side of my wall and opened it.

'I saw you shoot the boy. I'm hiding the body for now, but if you refuse to meet my demands, I'm sure it'll turn up somewhere. And it'll have your name all over it. Leave $100,000 in a bag under the station where it all happened by tomorrow at midnight, or you'll have more to worry about than me.'

Shit.

Last edited by TheKosmonaut : 11-07-2010 at 12:42 PM.
Old 11-06-2010, 06:15 PM   #7
tokenblackguy
Hurp Durp

Geez Kos, for a drunk you sure blew my story out of the water. I'll have to step up my game or something for the next topic.

Looking forward to it though dude.

~token
Old 11-07-2010, 12:55 PM   #8
TheKosmonaut
dddddamn!

I actually liked yours more, but to each his own. I'll probably get my next one done tonight, and if not then tomorrow.
Old 11-07-2010, 01:21 PM   #9
Sev
ಠ_ರೃ

You guys are impressive, we really need more people in the writing forums so you guys can be noticed by more then the handful of people here.
Old 11-07-2010, 04:01 PM   #10
HiddenTruth
unseen

Send a message via Skype™ to HiddenTruth

Seconded.

HiddenTruth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 05:15 PM   #11
TheKosmonaut
dddddamn!

Aw, thanks Sivik. I'll give your thread a read-through when I get the time, for sure. You, too Hidden. Good stuff.

token, if you're unsure of the topic, i'd say paranoia.

The Girls Upstairs

Dirt under my fingernails and I can't seem to bite it out. I gnaw on them and as they scrape between my teeth I taste it all, bitter. It sounds like a wedge being angled under a door.

'You have some filthy habits.'

'I don't like being watched so much. It makes me paranoid.' I feel them staring at me, though I'm not sure from where. I take my fingers out of my mouth.

'That's better.'

'Are you going to be like this when we meet?' I eye the vent above me carefully, so as to seem passive about it. Just rolling my eyes.

'Don't do that!'

'What?'

'Looking at the vent! You know how we hate when you do that.'

'I am paranoid, aren't I?' I stand from my chair and walk around the room a bit, hands resting on the back of my head. I have to use the restroom but I try to hide it. I don't want them following me. This time I deceptively peer into the vent, to test them. Do I have a window? Are they not watching?

Silence.

I slip into the bathroom unnoticed. Taking a piss without company is a luxury these days. All goes well until I hear the pitter-patter of feet on the floor above. They've all fit themselves into the bathroom up there. Most of them, at least.

'You think he can hear us?'

'I don't think so.'

'Should we even be doing this?'

'I don't know.'

'Invasion of privacy,' I say aloud.

'Sorry, it's just so impossible to leave you alone.' A few of them giggle.

'Just try it. Once.' I flush, wash my hands. Disgusting bacteria crawling all over but the soap kills it so I feel better.

'Did you know urine is sterile?'

'No.' I put momentum sitting in my desk chair so that it spins. It spins and spins and when it's done spinning I'm facing the vent again. That damn vent.

'Stop doing that!'

'Why?'

'I love you.'

'I need to go,' I say fiercely, grabbing my jacket and keys. The chair whips around as I stand. I feel the need to stop it from spinning. What if it's still spinning when I get back? That wouldn't make any sense at all but it seems time stands still in places where I don't exist. That's the impression they've given me, at least. And god help me, if that chair is still spinning when I get back.

Oh, it stopped.

I rush out the sliding door leading to my front porch. From the front porch to the walkway. From the walkway to my car. Keys in the ignition and the engine purrs. I want to rev it. I've never done that before. I put the car in neutral and lay down on the gas pedal. I scare some girls walking in the lot behind me. Wait... is that them?

No, no. Not these thoughts. I hate these thoughts. I back out as soon as those girls - those girls I don't know and have never talked to in my life before - are out of the way. I drive over the speedbumps and through the gate leading out of our little community.

This is the point where I usually turn right, onto Gate Parkway. That's when I hear it - the static - a low roar coming into full volume. Then a voice.

'Can he hear us? Hello! Can you hear us?'

No, no, no, no. I can't... This isn't.... I begin to panic. I roll the steering wheel right, then left. Should I u-turn back into the complex? No, they'll just be waiting for me there. They always are.

I look in the rearview and spot a woman. A woman I think I recognize, but I don't know from where.

'Are you there? Listen to me!'

I see her lips moving. It's her. She's the one.

Speakers in your ears. Speakers in your ears.

All at once I know what to do. I pull the steering wheel left-center and god willing, the wheels align with it. I look for my opening and I see it. I pull out into the center of the road to see if she calls my bluff. I'm still in no danger but if she follows me... My heart skips a beat as she pulls in behind me. It's so obvious. She's being so obvious. But why would she, if she were really following me?

'Can you hear me!?'

Speakers in your ears. Speakers in your ears.

'Yes! And now look what you've driven me to! Do you know what I'm going to do? It's all your damn fault!' My eyes crazed, I know this is what I want. I can't live with this anymore. Being followed. The cameras spying on me. The girls upstairs. I can't take it.

The next car to come around the bend is a red minivan. 'Okay, this is it.'

'Don't!'

I spot children in the rear. 'I have to.'

'No you don't, come back to me!'

'I... I...'

Speakers in your ears.

'You what?'

'The thought of you not being real, I...'

The van comes and goes. Tears well in my eyes. I can't believe what I was planning on doing. I make u-turn back across two lanes and into my complex. I scan my card and as I do so I peer in the rearview. The girl in the car pulls out onto Gate Parkway. Tears come harder.

I park, knowing now what I need most of all. I walk back on the walkway to the screened room. From the screened room to my room. From the floor to on top of my chair and unscrewing the vent screws. The plating drops to the floor.

'Don't!'

I reach up into the vent as far as I can but feel nothing. No camera.

I slump down in my chair. A feeling of loneliness creeps in. I close the curtains to my sliding glass doors and think. Then without too much hesitation, I begin biting at my nails.

'That's a really disgusting habit. Have I told you that before?'

Not across the lake. Not binoculars.

I make my way to the bathroom. I can hear the footsteps of people crowding into the one above mine again, but I ignore it. I clean out my ears to a degree I have never gone to before. I know the importance. After the cleaning, I wait. Wait for words.

'Sorry we're in here. We just couldn't help ourselves.'

No speakers.

'They're microscopic. You can't get them out with ear swabs, silly.'

The last part. I walk out the front door - something I do not typically do - and eye the stairs to the second floor. The girls upstairs are surely there. Surely. But what if they're not? What if she's not?

What am I afraid of?

'Loneliness.'

'Shut your mouth.'

'But I love you!' Her voice is cold.

'I... I...' I make my way up the stairs. The outside door to the apartment above mine has a crow-shaped wire ornament beside it, and a welcome mat before it. The knocker is elaborate - custom made. I reach out for it.

'Don't do this.'

'I have to. I... I...'

Knock, knock. I hear a short silence followed by a stirring inside. The steps behind the door are hers. I know it. It has to be. I take this moment of certainty and build my next set of words around it. She has to be there.

The door swings open and before I get the chance to see her face I blurt out, "I love you, too!"

Seeing her face, I break down there on this poor woman's front porch. Poor woman, she has no idea what I am going on about.

Last edited by TheKosmonaut : 11-07-2010 at 06:55 PM.
Old 11-07-2010, 07:12 PM   #12
tokenblackguy
Hurp Durp

Alright, I see your paranoia and I'll raise you one as well...

Just not right now...that's a tall order for as story and I have to consider what to do before I can even think about writing. I'll give it plenty of thought, listen to some very mind altering/disturbing music and then sit down to write it later dude. That's a hard story to follow though lol

~token
Old 11-18-2010, 10:45 PM   #13
tokenblackguy
Hurp Durp

Just a quick update guys. I actually typed an entire response to this but for some reason it didn't save and I don't feel like trying to go through and re-write it just yet. I have an idea for this one and for the the next topic but things just keep happening around here and I haven't been able to get on it yet.

Sorry kos for the stall. I'm not a fan of this much procrastination but I was seriously mad when I checked my respsonse and it wasn't even on the page. I'll have to keep copies on my computer from now on so that I'll have a back up and whatnot.

~token
Old 11-23-2010, 09:58 PM   #14
tokenblackguy
Hurp Durp

Default try number 2:

The Window

There he is again.
Day 4.

At first I just thought he was my imagination...
but he can't be.

He's always there as of late. Every corner I turn i catch a glimpse of his slow, stead, deliberate pace behind me. Even at when I sleep at night I can feel his eyes peering at me through my window.

Last night I tried to catch him in the act by video taping the window. I don't know how he figured it out because I assembled the entire thing in the bathroom. There aren't any windows in there so there's no way he could see in. I put it all in a book and then casually put the book back on my shelf facing the window.

But the next morning when I checked the footage, there was nothing there...
But I could feel his eyes watching me the entire night...
Wait is he in here with me?

I look around the room frantically trying to find his eyes, but I don't see him anywhere. Not under the table. Not around the corner. Not in the ceiling vents. Then it hits me. Look out the window.
Slowly my head turns and my eyes lock with his again. Can't I even make a meal without those big yellow eyes following me and haunting my nightmares and dreams?

He's always there. No matter where I am. No matter what time it is. He's always watching.

I have to get out of this place.

I'll go insane if I don't get away from his constant stalker-like watch soon.

I down my sandwich and casually grab my coat as if I hadn't noticed he was already tracking me again. I open the door, lock it as usual and start down the street.

It's busy out like always. There's always people moving around in "the city that never sleeps." But at times like this it makes walking around with a stalker following you seem slightly better.
After a while he just blends in as another figure in the distance, not a freak following my every step to the exact inch.

But he's closer today.

I can feel his steps, loud and heavy behind me. He's not playing around anymore. Maybe going for a walk wasn't such a good idea. But there's witnesses, right? He wouldn't try anything, right?

Wait, what if that's what he's wanted all along were the witnesses?
He's never gotten this close to me before...not even when I was at work and there were plenty of people there. What if he wants this many people to see whatever act it is he's been planning all along. What then? Should I run? But what if he follows me?

I extend my pace slightly. Nothing crazy. Just enough to put some distance between us without being too noticeable.

But he does notice.
And he quickly closes the gap.
There's nowhere to go on this street.
I can't get away from him with this many people in my way.
I need to run, that's my only chance.

I glance to my left; an alley. It looks safe and inviting, not like most alleys where you see a hobo and his pet cat. I'll wait for the next one though, I don't want him to think I'm planning on running away from him like this.

I get to the next alley and just after I pass the halfway point I break into a sprint down it, pushing trashcans and boxes and anything that could possibly be there down behind me. I can hear his loud clunking shoes behind me. He's running just as flat out as I am. And he's gaining.

I take another left almost missing the turn myself so I know he won't be able to make it very easily. I push harder with every stroke. Forcing each leg to push hard on every push.

I have to get away.
I can't let him get me. I don't want what ever it is he wants, not if he's this adamant about it.

I turn right suddenly and all I can see ahead of me is a black abyss. Immediately I start checking doors to see if any are unlocked
One of these doors is open, I know it.
One of them has to be unlocked.
It has to be.

I can hear him laughing behind me. He must be really enjoying the race now. He's never made a sound before. I have to get away from him, if I don't he'll catch me. I've got to get away.

One of these doors is open, I know it.
One of them has to be unlocked
It has to be.

I turn to look at my right and all I can see is black again. I turn to look to my left and the same is there. That only leaves me one way; back to him.

I look up and there's nothing there as well. All around me is the blistering hot ever pressing blackness. Nothing is right. I can hear his laughter all around me and there's nothing I can do to get away from him.

I turn around hoping to maybe run around him or plow through him but suddenly I can't breathe. His hands, icy as frost clench my throat, his arm extending some five feet to grab hold of me. Darkness closes in and his laughter just gets more and more shrill almost to the point of a shriek. I can feel my blood cold as ice rolling down my neck and pooling on the neck of my shirt. The taste of tin and iron pierce my tongue. My breathing slows to a crawl and I can feel myself on the edge of existence. This must be what it's like to die.

"Sir! Can you hear me! Oh christ!"

I hear the voice, but it's not the same as the shriek. They intermingle creating new sounds around them but I can't tell what the true source is.

"Sir if you can hear me say something! Or Blink! Anything!"

Of course I can hear you.
I blink my eyes and immediately everything around me melts away like a thick fog.
Blue.
Everything above my eyes is blue. Bright, vibrant, exhilarating.

"Oh thank God! Try to relax the ambulance is almost here!"

Ambulance? What did someone shoot the man and save me before he killed me? What happened to him? Did someone hear his shrieking?

"Jesus, he's bleeding like a fountain! Just hang in there!"
"Excuse me! Meds coming through!"

Suddenly I'm weightless. I can see pools of darkness moving around me and as they start to clear so does my dread.
Faces.
Tormented.
Fearful.

"Just hold on, buddy. Everything's gonna be fine alright?"

I look at the face of the man who spoke. I could see the mixture of emotions there. Pain, fear, sadness, and the slight tinge of relief that spread across his lips when I reached for his hand.

I feel the gurney settle into the locks in the back of the ambulance. I look out across all the faces of the cars piled up behind it. People everywhere are all looking on, some curious, some scared, others angry because I ruined their Friday night drive home from the office. One man stands in front of a cab with a large dent in the front of it talking to a police officer. I wonder how he managed to put something like that in it?

"He just ran out in front of me like a bat outta hell. That's the most scared I've ever seen someone in my life. I can't figure out what the hell he was running from though...there was nothing in the alley behind him..."

I look further back behind the ambulance. Still more traffic keeps piling up behind the cab. They shut the doors and I feel the rumble of the engine as they fire it up and begin to head back to the hospital. I blink heavily. Apparently I had put that dent in the car. It was all just my imagination.

I look out the window one more time and just behind one particularly frustrated driver I can see those yellow gleaming eyes again and the maniacal laughter permeates the air once more.

This is my second attempt as I'm sure you guys have figured out. It was a straight post with very little editing just because I wanted to get everything down. It was losely inspired by a lot of things so I won't even give them a reference however I was listening to the Inception soundtrack while writing it.