Go Back   Polykarbon Art Forum > GALLERY > Art Critique
Register FAQ Members List Arcade IRC Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-17-2011, 03:56 PM   #1
Grieverjoe
Ever Skyward

Awards Showcase
Boss Battle - 3rd place:  - Issue reason: Popped a few potions and went on a rampage 
Total Awards: 1

Default Wife's birthday pic

Help me out, guys.
My wife's birthday is in a month and I wanna do a sweet piece for her, featuring one of her characters paired with one of mine (we used to be big roleplay buffs back when we first met, d'aw! But that's a story for another time.)
So, here's what I've got in mind.
Attachment 2214
now, obviously, this is the initial rough sketch/idea, and I already know this isn't gonna be easy (plus I want the picture to be awesome because, y'know, BIRTHDAY!)
So, from what you guys see here, any ideas/thoughts/comments/concerns?
I'll be updating this post as I do more work on the picture.

Last edited by Grieverjoe : 07-01-2013 at 12:17 PM.
Grieverjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 09:18 PM   #2
afroXcore
Not here, not now.

Send a message via AIM to afroXcore Send a message via Skype™ to afroXcore

I think your wifey's character's ribcage is a bit too big. and the shoulders on the your chara looks a bit too wide, and hangs over her in an odd way.
Old 12-17-2011, 10:38 PM   #3
SapphireKasumi
Young Artist

Send a message via Skype™ to SapphireKasumi

Agreed about the ribcage on the female. Feels way too wide unless you intended her to have a bulky upper body. Which I'll assume you are not.

The arms on the female look off in terms of anatomy and perspective. I guess once the torso's settled they'll be the right width, but the right arm has a lot of upper arm and hardly any lower arm. I get foreshortening, but look at yourself and bend your arm to your shoulder. If you could touch the palm of your hand to your shoulder it should be able to grab it. Even with grabbing the guy's arm it's still too short. Basically more lower arm there.

We got the arm on the left side as overall way too short. The problem I think is because you have her arm tucked behind her breast. Because of that, there is the impression that her arm is right next to her ribcage. She wouldn't be able to hold her hand up to cup his chin, as she is, while her arms are against her torso. They'd need to be positioned out, so we'd definitely see more of her arm. I mean, just compare how the elbows would sit at her belly button. The right arm is a bit closer to hitting it, but the left is way too short if you had it hanging down.

The best way to double check these little matters is imitating the pose yourself/taking reference. Whether you be a man or woman, our bodies work relatively the same (except for obvious things like women having more curves and such). If you compare your drawing to how you position yourself in front of a mirror, you can find these mistakes. But its always good to double check with others.

Oh, and finally, I don't know how you intend to draw her face, but she would look better with an angled view than a frontal view. Especially if she's glancing at the guy embracing her. Not only will it look more natural but emotional as well. Overall you have some fixes to work on, but I'm sure that your wife will love it :3
SapphireKasumi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 07:59 AM   #4
Grieverjoe
Ever Skyward

Awards Showcase
Boss Battle - 3rd place:  - Issue reason: Popped a few potions and went on a rampage 

Thank you, thank you.
I know there's mistakes (and I appreciate you guys for pointing them out). What we have here is the quick "Hey I have an idea so I'm gonna sketch it down real quick before it leaves my mind and worry about anatomy later" sketch.
Hopefully, later today, I'll have time to refine it a bit. I'm trying to work on it when my wife isn't looking, since it's gonna be a surprise and all.
Old 12-18-2011, 09:20 AM   #5
afroXcore
Not here, not now.

Send a message via AIM to afroXcore Send a message via Skype™ to afroXcore

okay, it's good that you're doing thumbnail sketches.

as an idea, the pose give the proper feeling your going for, so i think this piece will work.
Old 12-18-2011, 09:55 AM   #6
SapphireKasumi
Young Artist

Oh okay, good to know that this is just the initial idea Sorry, I thought that this was the beginning of your rough, though do keep in mind what I said if this is the pose you choose. I think it's a nice, intimate pose, but sketch a couple more just in case you come up with something you like more.

Keep posting your works in progress here, and we'll keep helping you along the way. You got the time, so keep working at it until you think it'll be perfect :3
Old 12-19-2011, 09:45 AM   #7
Grieverjoe
Ever Skyward

Awards Showcase

Thanks for the support, fellas.
Here's some more thumbs. I've decided I wanna keep the pose to be the same, if not similar.
It's good to know I have such supporting friends ("friends" used here liberally, as I don't know you people! Who are you!? What are you doing in my bathroom!?)
EDIT: He's not groping her boob. I want it to be more "sweet and romantic" than sexual, but I like the hug with his arms around her. I don't want to show any nudity in this one (keywords: "in this one").
Attachment 2215

Old 12-19-2011, 10:04 AM   #8
Professor Az
TK-85650

Hypothesis: Given pose is not groping a boob.

1st Experiment: Go up to a female friend (Test Subject #1). Not your girlfriend, as that would skew the experiment. Go big, or go home. Try this on your girlfriend's best friend. That should put things in perspective. Now, come up behind her, and give her a hug, and hold her boob the way you have drawn it. Make sure you hold it the way you have drawn it, or that's cheating.

Theory: Since you probably got punched in the 'nads, that means you were groping some boob. The experiment has failed.

2nd Experiment: Repeat the above experiment using your mom as Test Subject #2. Again, come up behind her, and give her a hug, and hold her boob the way you have drawn it.

Theory: Some retroactive abortion has probably occurred as a direct result of this experiment, that or your relatives have more problems than you do. The second iteration of the experiment proves the hypothesis is false, otherwise known as EPIC FAIL, or FACE PALM SYNDROME.

AzTech's Law - The pose you have drawn is indeed groping some boob. If you want it to be more "sweet and romantic, go for a proper hug. Grabbing some boob (or booty for that matter) is indeed sexual in nature, so stop trying to hide it already. If you want the pic to get her groove on, a sexual pic is probably OK to draw for your girlfriend. Giving that pic to her in front of, oh let's say her family, or her grandmother, would probably not be OK.

Wurd.
Old 12-19-2011, 11:02 AM   #9
Grieverjoe
Ever Skyward

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by Professor Az
Hypothesis: Given pose is not groping a boob.

1st Experiment: Go up to a female friend (Test Subject #1). Not your girlfriend, as that would skew the experiment. Go big, or go home. Try this on your girlfriend's best friend. That should put things in perspective. Now, come up behind her, and give her a hug, and hold her boob the way you have drawn it. Make sure you hold it the way you have drawn it, or that's cheating.

Theory: Since you probably got punched in the 'nads, that means you were groping some boob. The experiment has failed.

2nd Experiment: Repeat the above experiment using your mom as Test Subject #2. Again, come up behind her, and give her a hug, and hold her boob the way you have drawn it.

Theory: Some retroactive abortion has probably occurred as a direct result of this experiment, that or your relatives have more problems than you do. The second iteration of the experiment proves the hypothesis is false, otherwise known as EPIC FAIL, or FACE PALM SYNDROME.

AzTech's Law - The pose you have drawn is indeed groping some boob. If you want it to be more "sweet and romantic, go for a proper hug. Grabbing some boob (or booty for that matter) is indeed sexual in nature, so stop trying to hide it already. If you want the pic to get her groove on, a sexual pic is probably OK to draw for your girlfriend. Giving that pic to her in front of, oh let's say her family, or her grandmother, would probably not be OK.

Wurd.
Maybe I should've worded that a bit better.
Yes, his hand is, indeed, resting on her boob, but not in a way that says "Hey, baby, I'm totally getting me some of that!"
I've seen this pose before in which the man has his hand cupping the woman's breast without coming off as sleazy or an invitation to sex.
I have drawn pics to get her groove on before, but I'm not posting those here (or on the internet, for that matter). Also, she's my wife, not girlfriend.
Your experiments, theories and law made me laugh, though.
Old 12-19-2011, 01:04 PM   #10
Professor Az
TK-85650

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grieverjoe
Yes, his hand is, indeed, resting on her boob, but not in a way that says "Hey, baby, I'm totally getting me some of that!"
Yes, it does.

AzTech's Law, 3rd Corollary - ...Grabbing some boob (or booty for that matter) is indeed sexual in nature, so stop trying to hide it already.

Experiment #3 - If another man, let's say me, for example, were to hold your wife's boob like that, I would probably get punched in the nads. First by her, then by you. Therefore, your hypothesis is again proven false. Only a doctor can grab your wife's boob, without you having to worry about it. In this day and age, probably not even that. See the way his right hand is doing some fine tuning? Sexual.

Three strikes is fair baseball, yo.

Quote:
Also, she's my wife, not girlfriend.
I fail to see how that keeps it from being at least naughty.

Quote:
Your experiments, theories and law made me laugh, though.
They did so.
Old 12-22-2011, 05:26 AM   #11
Grieverjoe
Ever Skyward

Awards Showcase

Going out of town this weekend, so there won't be any updates on this until at least Tuesday the 27th. Still, I wanted to say thanks for the support, fellas. I've never been able to successfully draw a romantic/cute embrace, so this is new territory for me, but I'm determined to make it work, dammit!
So, see you guys in a couple days, and again, thanks for the help. *salute*
Old 12-22-2011, 09:44 PM   #12
Grieverjoe
Ever Skyward

Awards Showcase

Thank you, Skyrim, for letting me sketch unhindered while my wife isn't paying attention to what I'm doing.
Attachment 2216
I think I've settled on this pose. I know the faces and hands and muscles aren't defined yet, but I've been spending all the time I can on this drawing to getting the pose right.
See you guys on Tuesday!
EDIT: Just realized I left out her left arm. Bleh!

Old 12-22-2011, 11:26 PM   #13
SapphireKasumi
Young Artist

Hmmm... Now that Az has pointed it out, all I see is the boob grab >>; I know it's not your intention, but it's there and that's how it looks. I don't think the final expressions are going to change that assumption either. Even if you tilted it so that his hand is resting on top instead of full on, I think you'd get more intimacy/comfort and less "I'm getting me some of that!" mentality. That's my opinion at least.
Old 12-23-2011, 01:13 AM   #14
te shok
Karnivool

Send a message via MSN to te shok

im gonna second the bringing up of the hand

My Space
te shok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 05:08 AM   #15
Grieverjoe
Ever Skyward

Awards Showcase

I'll give it a shot, though moving his hand up would mean there's gonna be nipplage showing (though I don't think anyone will complain about that.)
Thanks.
EDIT: Bam! I KNEW I'd seen the pose somewhere.

Last edited by Grieverjoe : 12-23-2011 at 05:38 AM.
Old 12-23-2011, 09:29 AM   #16
SapphireKasumi
Young Artist

And who's going to complain about nipples around here?

Ah, I see now. But that's exactly my point. His gaze at the camera and that little smirk on his lips reads loud and clear "I'm banging this tonight!" But then again, she's kind of saying that too. Just be careful with the final expressions. Intimacy is key, if they're looking at each other it becomes a more personal scene. But it looks like you aren't going for the frontal, facing the camera confrontational look.
Old 12-29-2011, 07:14 PM   #17
Grieverjoe
Ever Skyward

Awards Showcase

Back from the in-laws, and back at it.

This will be the final pose. Still fussing a little bit with the anatomy, but this is the pose I've settled on. If I keep thinking of more poses, it'll never get done.
So, I guess this is the initial sketch for real this time.
Old 12-30-2011, 04:28 AM   #18
te shok
Karnivool

Send a message via MSN to te shok

boob grab hand seems a bit small

My Space
te shok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 05:04 AM   #19
Grieverjoe
Ever Skyward

Awards Showcase

I see it.
Thanks.
Old 12-30-2011, 07:09 PM   #20
Grieverjoe
Ever Skyward

Awards Showcase

Gonna try and do something craaaaaazeeeeh!
Gonna try and do a piece without lines! All painted! It'll be an interesting experiment, considering I haven't done it for a few years.
Here's what I've got so far.

Made his right hand bigger.