Go Back   Polykarbon Art Forum > GALLERY > Sketchbooks
Register FAQ Members List Arcade IRC Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-30-2012, 04:57 AM   #1
Star*Collector
Karbonite

Default Star*Collector's Sketchbook

Ffff... haven't posted here in a long long while. I have been drawing though!

I wanted to just submit a pile of work to show my starting point. I'm embarking on a tutorial-spree to distract me from some real-life stuff associated with depression

First of all, some older stuff. Just because I want to see I'm making progress even if it's in baby-steps.

Click for larger.
Completed: 2009?
I remember specifically drawing this after an argument with my dad, but I can't remember what the argument was over. Please ignore emo-story ramblings. A college tutor saw this, told me to scrap the anime chibis and make this the basis of my final major project. I think I used a reference, but I honestly can't remember.

Completed: Late 2009/Early2010?
I'm thinking I should go back to doing stuff like this. It was so fun, and copics are great to play with. Was done for college. I have more like this if anyone is interested. Completely referenceless and off the top of my head, so the anatomy and such makes me weep a bit =X

Completed: November 2009
Close-Ups: http://i.imgur.com/KBrXZ.jpg
I used a ref, but my DA search proves it was taken down.

Completed: September 2010
Ref: http://twiggxstock.deviantart.com/ar...8130250?q=&qo=

Completed: December 2010
No refs. I hate, hate, hate those hands. I remember giving up on this and deciding it wasn't worth finishing between the awkward face and those hands. This was an attempt to redraw a character I hadn't drawn since 2005, when I was fourteen: http://wolfeclaw.deviantart.com/art/...0678892?q=&qo= So at least there's a bit of improvement!

In my first post, I submitted these:

Close-Ups: http://i.imgur.com/u7rcR.jpg
Completed: October 1011

Close-Ups: http://i.imgur.com/Ba3mg.jpg
Completed: December 2011

Right after my last post, I did this:

Urgh. Awful. I was trying to go for a kind of semi-cartoon style and just got worse as I went on. I do think I made a bit of progress as far as greyscale shading goes though? Although maybe with more highlights, they wouldn't look so clay-like.

This was right after, attempted realism. I have a lot of trouble trying to paint noses in a 3/4 view, but at front and profile, I don't think the problem is as bad for some reason.

Reference-less canine pokemon in a semi-realism style. Done while the net was down. I don't think canines are something I'll be drawing all that often, but I like to know where I'm at.

A stupid chibi sketch. I like how the bodies ended up looking even if the faces are lazy.

A pile of chibis, submitted because I want to see my own progress. I still draw these since they're easy and quick, but I'm sure they're not helping my understanding of facial anatomy in the slightest, or anatomy at all, but I think the colouring practice and tablet-use practice is good for me:

And more recently, I got around to practising in the style I want to work more toward improving over anime/chibi. Posted in order of completion:

Neither are meant to be realism, which is why I kept going back and pulling out the lineart. Although I like the latter more, looking back at it, I think I should have looked for a way of improving those scars. They were supposed to look old, not fresh, and I think the texture is unbelievable to a viewer. I liked the hair, but looking back now, I could have done without the random red parts. I think I was looking at it for too long.

I can't help but look at some of these and wonder if I'm getting worse rather than better, but I can say for sure that I'm favouring painting to cell-shading when I have time to sit and actually do it, which I think is better than my attitude before where it was 'too hard' or 'took too long'.

Sorry for all the text. I ramble a lot, I know. Let me know if I'm doing something wrong or should be making these smaller/text links.

Any crits on the later stuff, shoot!
Star*Collector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 02:35 PM   #2
Grudge
The Reaper

Nice collection! I love the style. The image you posted of the head with no eyes I enjoy the most, and the first drawing out of the 6 is my favorite!
I like watching people's skill improve, like yours.

Thanks for sharing!

SKETCHBOOK
Grudge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 09:00 AM   #3
TaooftheRaven
Karbonite

I think I like your first piece best, but your color work is awesome and I can definitely see progression. Feeling these pieces. Great work.
Old 08-06-2013, 02:59 AM   #4
Star*Collector
Karbonite

I keep disappearing and then coming back ;3;

Not a lot of non-chibi/Pokemon here. Drawn a lot on note paper but I haven't scanned anything in a while.

Old>New

Date of Completion: Jan17th
I am aware that this is freakin' terrifying. I am very, very sorry. In my defence, I was really interested in Pawn Stars on Youtube and didn't zoom out for like four hours until I realised what kind of monstrosity had occurred. Still, I like the lips.

Just doodles while I watched Pawn Stars. Rofl. Was trying to come up with a design for a whole piece but didn't like anything enough.

January 17th was a good day. Tried to do a painty pokemon. Took too long and looks all kinds of wrong.

Date of Completion: May 21st
Wanted to try and draw something similar to the style of the sketches from the Bioshock Infinite art book. Some fail, but I also wanted to be fast. Left is ug, middle I like, right was just too ugly and I gave up. Rofl.

Date of Completion: May22nd
Magikarp because he's awesome.

Date of Completion:
Eevee yawning.

Date of Completion: June 1st
Gaia Online commission. Two super heros.

Date of Completion: June 1st
Shinx. There's a line colour mistake driving me crazy but I'm too lazy to fix it =/

Date of Completion: June 3rd
Gaia Online.

Date of Completion: June 17th
Another Gaia Online thing. You can't see it, but there's a crap load of lost detail here. Have some close-ups!

Date of Completion: June 24th
Gaia Online commission. They requested I imitate my older style.

At this point, my tablet pen broke. I went a bit just not drawing at all, or only doodling on paper. I've since taped it back together, but the eraser and side buttons are still screwed up. I want to replace it, but my brothers Intuos5 pen didn't work (I have an Intuos4) so I'm not sure if I can =/

Date of Completion: August 4th
I wanted to try adding makeup to an eye. Failed to make it look believable, but I like the iris in this. Was pretty much done in under an hour too. In the future, I will be making the eyelashes thicker and longer.

Sylveon. Very difficult, tbh. My ability to use the table pen was totally thrown through out the lining phase of this, so the ribbons especially are fat and screwed up.

Wanted another try at the ribbons lawl. Probably lleaving this as it is. Don't like it enough to finish. I suck at animals.

Current Goal: Less cell shading, more painting. But also to get better at cell shading and explore better ways of doing it.
Star*Collector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 06:27 AM   #5
Star*Collector
Karbonite

(Click for Larger)
Last Additions: March 2013
I haven't actually touched this in months and months. I was having fun with the koi and the dragon, but the bird, I hate. And I ended up not having fun because the face wouldn't go right =/ So I have up. I would like to redraw this character and her tats at some point when I feel more comfortable with the back art. But I wanted to show it anyway since a lot of work went into that tattoo, even though I'm pretty sure I could do better now.

Date of Completion: 19th September
Dat nose. I like the eye make-up colouring though. And a hell of a lot better than my last go at this character. Haha. Nosssse.

Date of Completion: 23rd September
I just have no words. Oh wait, of course I do - The right side is my lined-out sketch to show what it was SUPPOSED to end up like. Just kept adjusting things while zoomed in, ended up messing it up worse. The lips are just... urgh. The eyes, I like more, the character is supposed to be a very tired looking guy. But the nose, again, and the lips, and the cheek and the jaw etc. etc. Eh. Worked too hard not to put it somewhere.

Current Goal: Human facial anatomy, especially noses.
Old 12-05-2013, 12:02 AM   #6
mikky7
Pre-Karbonite

No refs. I hate, hate, hate those hands. I remember giving up on this and deciding it wasn't worth finishing between the awkward face and those hands. This was an attempt to redraw a character I hadn't drawn since 2005, when I was fourteen:least there's a bit of improvement!
Date of Completion: 23rd September
Wanted another try at the ribbons lawl. Probably lleaving this as it is. Don't like it enough to finish. I suck at animals.
I wanted to try adding makeup to an eye. Failed to make it look believable, but I like the iris in this. Was pretty much done in under an hour too. In the future, I will be making the eyelashes thicker and longer.