Go Back   Polykarbon Art Forum > GALLERY > Sketchbooks
Register FAQ Members List Arcade IRC Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-01-2014, 11:30 PM   #1
djizomdjinn
night painter

Default Wow, these are tiny - djizomdjinn's minis

So yeah, miniatures painting is one of my hobbies. Personally, I don't think I'm very good at it, but... hey. I have a crate's worth of unpainted minis. I have time and materials to get better.

Goth Girl:
Very first one I painted, and before i had decent quality acrylic paints. So, painted with enamel. Also of note is that this is a pewter mini, not plastic like most of the rest will be.
Spoiler:

Gunslinger Girl:
Not really happy with this one. First time painting with new plastic minis + new acrylic paints. Ended up building too much paint.
Spoiler:

Pirate w/ chest:
Painted the first couple plastic minis in batches, so I could work while others dried. Not the first with paint applied to him, but the first plastic mini finished. I kind of like how it turned out.
Spoiler:

Muscled Old Wizard:
Another one I really like. This guy was fun to paint. Plenty of detail, without it being confusing (figuring out what is what when it's all translucent white is pretty hard ).
Spoiler:

Nature Sorceress:
So. Annoying. To. Paint. So many nooks and crannies.
Spoiler:

Pirate Dwarf:
Went without any hitches. Which is nice. There's usually at least one section on any given mini that'll trip me up.
Spoiler:

Witch:
This kind of became a mess after I painted most of it black and brown, and as a result killed my contrast. Ended up just going screw it, doing some touch-up detailing, and then brushing on the sealer.
Spoiler:

Succubus (nudity):
A 70% WIP. Was until recently a pain to paint, wings being in the way. Then I found out you could take the wings off. A real d'oh! moment, there.
Spoiler:

Marilith (nudity):
The other current 70% WIP. It's been on a few other models here, but this really showcases enamel metallic paints. Acrylics are easier to use and work with in general, so I use them most of the time, but their metallics are... pitiful. So I use enamels for metallic touch-up work. Also gas myself half the time with them. I should really get a respirator. My current one is a Czech M10M gas mask; while it does work, it's also not the best thing to use whilst painting.

Spoiler:
djizomdjinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 07:40 AM   #2
Anyte
The Unsmiling

Daunting work ... so many tiny details. I assume you use a lighted magnifying glass ... otherwise you have super powerful eyesight. I need to get one for some work I do. The pirate with chest is my favorite, mostly because I like pirates.

Norman Bates as mother - Psycho
Anyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014, 01:25 PM   #3
RobotCat
Best combination ever

Awards Showcase
1st Place:  - Issue reason: Horror Fest '08 Phase 1 3rd Place:  - Issue reason: Horror Fest '08 Phase 2 
Total Awards: 2

I definitely see a ton of improvement from the first to your current WIP.

I think Acrylics are fine for the most part but when it comes to skin you probably want the same kind of paint people use for Garage Kits or Gundam models. Those are a lot smoother and more consistent so when you do things like skin or anything with a smooth surface it won't come out all blotchy.

Anyways, it's amazing how small these are.
RobotCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 11:28 PM   #4
djizomdjinn
night painter

Thanks guys! Work on minis got interrupted for a bit while I got a desk that isn't three feet wide and incredibly cramped.

Mermaid:
Another pewter mini. Been experimenting with lots of new things... airbrushing being the big one. Also been debating which sealer to use; as you've probably noticed, every other mini is kind of overly shiny as a result of sealing it. So, been looking around for a new one. This is unsealed, so far.

Also one of the rare instances I've found occasion to use phlato green straight from the tube.
Spoiler:
Old 09-16-2014, 10:33 PM   #5
RobotCat
Best combination ever

Awards Showcase
1st Place:  - Issue reason: Horror Fest '08 Phase 1 3rd Place:  - Issue reason: Horror Fest '08 Phase 2 

Cool update =D
Old 09-17-2014, 07:22 AM   #6
Professor Az
TK-85650

Awesome. Are these Ral-Partha miniatures? I used to own a ton of the pewter ones (literally) back when AD&D was a thing. I used to use spray bomb flat black primer, then paint with water-based acrylics and dry brush techniques. I would then finish them off with two very light coats of flat acrylic in an airbrush.
Old 10-05-2014, 08:06 PM   #7
djizomdjinn
night painter

Cat: Thanks!

Az: Not these particular ones, these are made by Reaper... but I might have some Ral-Partha minis lying around somewhere.

I totally forgot to nudity-tag mermaid. Whoops.

Mermaid, finished (nudity): So, I'm not exactly sure how I managed to draw in an iris, pupil, and highlights on the pupil, but I did and I'm not complaining. Also, the sealer I used seems to melt the paint slightly. Generally bad, but good in this case where there's a lot of paint already on her and some not so smooth brush strokes need taking care of. Also it's nice and dull. No glossy skin.

The other thing I got was interference paints. These fun things are basically tinted, transparent metallics that change the highlight color of whatever you brush them on to whatever you want.

(second image is WIP, but it's much better lit and shows off the eyes better.

Spoiler:

Princess and Punk Guitarist Bard: Two ladies that I like to think are polar opposites of each other. I've been calling the princess Estelle for some reason. Tales of Vesperia, probably.

Dang, that photo is dark. Shooting any slower though blows out the highlights. I think I need a better light.

Spoiler:

So far, it's been an educational experience painting these minis. The small scale means you need to assume a certain lighting situation and essentially force the highlights and shadows. Very good for learning about lighting.
Old 03-19-2015, 07:07 AM   #8
djizomdjinn
night painter

I've totally been working on these without posting anything about them.

So, I got some epoxy putties. They're kind of like polymer clay, but much denser (so they don't smoosh as soon as you look at them funny; still take fingerprints though), set about 3-4 hours after you mix them up (so you don't have to worry about baking evenly) and can be sanded, drilled, and carved after they set (made a mistake? grind it off!)

Face practice. That small one on the right is about 4mm tall.

Two 54mm scaled minis, along with a helpful reference card I found online.

More refinement on the right one. Probably going to abandon the left one, I learned that many mini sculptors sculpt legs to torso first, and pop on the arms and head later. Also before I learned of the wondrous sculpting material that results when you mix two putties with different properties together. And also looks like wasabi.
Old 03-19-2015, 10:27 AM   #9
johnway
Master of rubbish art.

Ah, green stuff. The (green) stuff that model makers use to customize and make their models with. Seen it used especially with games workshop models. Its like sculpting but at a much lower scale.

Should be interesting to see the final results.

"Life is one great journey. Shame about the destination"
johnway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 04:22 PM   #10
djizomdjinn
night painter

Ah. Whoops. Well, I've been posting status updates on the Reaper Miniatures forum, since I figure there are more mini sculpting enthusiasts there, but I could have sworn I posted the third mini I've been working on.

It should look a bit familiar.

It's not nearly as smooth as I'd want it to be, but it's also the smallest thing I've ever sculpted (about an inch high). Maybe I'll come back to it when I'm better at sculpting.
Old 03-31-2015, 08:36 PM   #11
djizomdjinn
night painter

Okay, NOW I'm done.

Concept for the next, bigger one. It's not much more than a sketch, but I could spend time refining it... or I could spend that time actually sculpting the end product.

Old 03-31-2015, 09:12 PM   #12
Grieverjoe
Ever Skyward

Awards Showcase
Boss Battle - 3rd place:  - Issue reason: Popped a few potions and went on a rampage 
Total Awards: 1

Hey, Flute Girl!
Good job, man! Keep them coming!
Grieverjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 12:57 PM   #13
johnway
Master of rubbish art.

I like the flute girls cape, the folds in the fabric are quite nice. One thing i though it could be improved on is perhaps she could be sitting on her folded legs as its a bit on the awkward side how she is balancing.

is it wrong of me to say that i like the shape of the ass on the latest one? Its so nicely defined as are her shoulder blades. I can see the curvature of her back and its quite pleasing.

"Life is one great journey. Shame about the destination"
johnway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2015, 05:20 AM   #14
srilyk

Send a message via ICQ to srilyk Send a message via AIM to srilyk Send a message via MSN to srilyk Send a message via Yahoo to srilyk

Maybe you should make your own miniature company. You got some awesome stuff, and at the price those things go for... $$$!

All some super excellent stuff!

Sketch Exchanges:
Now with more <InnerShadow>
Over 9000! - with <ssjmvegita>

You want eyes? Get them here!
srilyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 09:22 AM   #15
djizomdjinn
night painter

Huh. I really didn't post any WIP pictures of this one?

Old 04-21-2015, 01:35 PM   #16
djizomdjinn
night painter

Maybe I don't suck that much after all. Work in progress.
Old 04-22-2015, 09:55 AM   #17
astrapho
One of 'em crazies

Awards Showcase
1st Place:  - Issue reason: Over Dramatic Contest '10 1st Place:  - Issue reason: When Hell Freezes Over Contest '11 Boss Battle Contest - Winner: 1st place - Issue reason: Beat the scariest boss into a pulp 
Total Awards: 3

Send a message via Skype™ to astrapho

Digging the paint job on that one Anatomy is wonkey though, it also lacks the sense of weight and gesture you have in your drawings, but I don't know enough about sculpting to offer any good advice. all i can say is keep going bro and try to work on that part
astrapho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 08:23 PM   #18
RobotCat
Best combination ever

Awards Showcase

Bigger Pics! Need Bigger Pics!
Old 05-02-2015, 06:52 AM   #19
djizomdjinn
night painter

ast: Yep, I agree. But that's what practice is for, right?

RobotCat: Well, I'm getting as close to the mini as I can; my cell phone camera won't focus any closer. And for some reason my cell phone takes better macro shots than my real camera. I guess I can host bigger pics... but my camera doesn't have enough real resolution for any more detail to be really made out.

This one's a painted mini, apparently discontinued due to casting issues with the hand. The sculpt is really flat, so I decided to freehand a pattern. Namely, a kimono. Macro photography is haaaard. Took forever just to get these somewhat okay pics.

In sculpting news, decided to take on my red cyborg samurai girl next.

I was originally going to sculpt the sword on a wire armature, like I've been doing and how tutorials online tell me to do it... but then I figured, if I'm not sending these to be cast and replicated (i.e, a one-off) then I might as well make the sword truer to scale instead of the pieces of sharpened rebar that most minis have. So it's made out of a piece of hammered wire, ground on a knife sharpening stone into shape.
Old 05-06-2015, 09:24 PM   #20
RobotCat
Best combination ever

Awards Showcase

The pattern on the kimono looks really good. I'd really like to see a video on how you're making these.