Go Back   Polykarbon Art Forum > GALLERY > Sketchbooks
Register FAQ Members List Arcade IRC Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-22-2004, 01:12 AM   #1
DN
I'm standing behind you.

Default DN's Sketchbook - 11/1 Lots of stuff

I started a new sketchbook recently and figured what the hell. I might as well add mine too. I've been slacking lately, so maybe if I try to upate here occasionally, it will motivate me to draw more.

Note: my sketchbook also serves as a workpad since I have it sitting next to my computer. Don't be surprised if there's weird text in the pics sometimes.

Note2: I'm lazy and a messy sketcher. I should probably work on that, but I don't think other people's sketchbooks are messy enough. :p

Stuff I should work on at the moment:
Anatomy and practicing more from good references. I tend to be lazy and just draw from my head a lot.

Random pen sketches.
http://www.absentart.com/pics/2005/s...k_20041201.png

More randomness. Note the stuff at the bottom was inspired by darkreaver and phish's fight club, though I did it from memory which explains why the character looks nothing like their's.
http://www.absentart.com/pics/2005/s...k_20041213.png

Occasionally, if I like something on a scrap piece of paper, I'll just tape it inside my sketchbook.
http://www.absentart.com/pics/2005/s...k_20041219.png

Also note that bottom right sketch got turned into a speed paint. I think I like the sketch more.
http://www.absentart.com/pics/2005/p...nakethingy.jpg

I started out on this next one just copying a pic I found on someone's deviant art account. The one on the bottom left was copied.
http://www.absentart.com/pics/2005/s...k_20041220.png

Here's a closeup of the bottom right of that page. They're messy thumbnails, but I kind of like them and I think I might do something with them later. I wish now that I had drawn them larger.
http://www.absentart.com/pics/2005/s...1220_close.png

[edit]decided to just link some older stuff.

Last edited by DN : 06-28-2005 at 03:17 AM.
DN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2004, 01:18 AM   #2
DN
I'm standing behind you.

Older junk that happened to be sitting on my site:
http://www.absentart.com/pics/junk/FruitFucker.jpg
http://www.absentart.com/pics/junk/psmasher.jpg
http://www.absentart.com/pics/junk/pikacomic1_sk.gif
http://www.absentart.com/pics/junk/pikacomic2_sk.gif

Last edited by DN : 03-18-2005 at 02:44 PM.
Old 12-22-2004, 01:23 AM   #3
arcaneg0th
weirdo

Send a message via AIM to arcaneg0th

Hmm pretty cool stuff there. one thing I would like to note is that you dont seem very sure of your lines, I'm not saying this because I dont like sketchy stuff I just think things could go in the right place with more ease. keep it up.
Old 12-22-2004, 01:44 AM   #4
DN
I'm standing behind you.

Yeah, I think you're probably right. I tend to be pretty impatient while drawing. It doesn't help that I've had long stints where I didn't do much and then would come back and not be satisfied.

I'm planning to enroll in more classes this next semester hopefully to force myself to do some more serious work. I've really been slacking too much. I also think I need to do more gesture drawing to increase my speed a bit and get more relaxed.

It's one of those things where I pretty much know what my problem is. It's just a matter of practicing more often and in a bit more structured way.
Old 12-25-2004, 07:01 AM   #5
DN
I'm standing behind you.

Here's a sort of cleaned up version of that last sketch. I'm thinking of just throwing it in Painter or something (haven't decided if I want to ink it or just try to color it yet), so I figured it didn't have to be perfectly clean yet.

And since I'm already here, I might as well put the last two speed paints I did.

This one was referenced from battlestar gallactica.

[edit]I guess I'll add one more collection of sketches for now.

Last edited by DN : 03-18-2005 at 02:46 PM.
Old 12-25-2004, 02:38 PM   #6
Steasaurus
rawr

That battlestar referenced pic looks so good I'd have accused you of sticking filters over a screen of the show... if I wasn't sure you're capable of such great pics. Very nice. I think I remember an otakulad/pika fight club fight that was cool... why I mentioned that I do not know. Maybe sentimentality?
I really like some of the stuff that crawls out of your brain and down your pencil... that blockhead guy is interesting... surreal and interesting.
I'm inspired to start my own sketchbook now... I have a spare A5 in my desk, it is now my best friend and shall accompany me where ever I may happen to go, such as work tomorrow.
Good work. Keep it up... the people demand more curly mustachios!! (well this one does anyway )
Old 12-25-2004, 03:36 PM   #7
DN
I'm standing behind you.

Heh, thank you for the comments. I'm thinking I should do something with that pugilist guy later. I have no idea why I gave him the pointy hair like that.

Quote:
I think I remember an otakulad/pika fight club fight that was cool... why I mentioned that I do not know. Maybe sentimentality?
I linked that up in my second post. I just linked it instead of showing it since it was with a few older things.
Old 12-27-2004, 07:45 PM   #8
Steasaurus
rawr

yeah I seen that... that's why I mentioned it
I was refering to a one with sombreros(sp?) but I may have dreamt that...
Old 12-27-2004, 07:46 PM   #9
Steasaurus
rawr

ooh ooh ooh it may have had a guy on a turtle who also used ktfot (keeping this folder on top bbs)
Old 12-27-2004, 10:28 PM   #10
Kwiix
The Horror

Default R

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5te
ooh ooh ooh it may have had a guy on a turtle who also used ktfot (keeping this folder on top bbs)
You mean Spike? It's safe to say that at this moment he's asking for directions just to practice his Japanese.

I really like the battlestar gallactica speedpainting and the cleaned up version of the girl you sketched, DN.

It's also nice to see you doodle a lot. I find that doing that helps me think when I'm trying to come up with a solution to a problem. You don't know how many times my flow charts and schematics end up being attacked by aliens and have to be saved by flying skulls.
Old 12-28-2004, 12:57 PM   #11
DN
I'm standing behind you.

Quote:
yeah I seen that... that's why I mentioned it
Ah, I misunderstood. Yeah, the pikachu version came from Otakulad and Pat who had one of the original fight clubs, so the character design belongs to them. There was another fight club with Spike in it, but I'm not sure if OtakuLad actually had the pika outfit on in that one.

And thanks Kwiix. I think I doodle too much, actually. Or, not necessarily too much, but I don't spend enough time on things to make them look decent most of the time. I've been trying to force myself to do some more extended things lately and hopefully classes next semester will push me even more.
Old 12-29-2004, 09:39 AM   #12
Steasaurus
rawr

I found an old otaku lad fight with pat and suprisingly the images are still working yey!
and yeah it was spike... i think he rode in on his tortoise thing and it was a western style thing nevermind though... I've just payed a trip to yesteryear and it was fun.
DN you wanna post more doodles? doodles are interesting... sort of.
Old 01-11-2005, 01:06 AM   #13
DN
I'm standing behind you.

More messy randomness. One was referenced from a comic. A few of the thumbnails and the one with the mask was me toying with a short story idea. And just to start, I'll throw in the speed paint I did in the other thread:

Yes, that little thing is based off darkreavers stuff again.

Last edited by DN : 03-18-2005 at 02:47 PM.
Old 01-11-2005, 07:15 AM   #14
Oceans Andrew
Karbonite

Send a message via AIM to Oceans Andrew

some of your sketches are great, and some really aren't, but the ones that arent are the really creative poses or unique ideas. I guess that makes them perfect for a sketchbook, because you can refine and correct them later.
i think the term is flashes of brilliance.

keep posting more, i'm interested
Old 01-11-2005, 11:48 AM   #15
DN
I'm standing behind you.

Quote:
some of your sketches are great, and some really aren't
Heh, I was debating what I should throw in here, and I decided that if I waited for everything to be nice and neat, I'd probably never post. I just figured for my sketchbook I'd do it chronologically from my most recent sketchbook so I can track my own progress. Maybe add my own comments to know what I was thinking too. I'm still weeding out a few of the absolutely awful pages though to spare you all. :p

I agree with you though, a lot of these sketches aren't that great mostly because I think I still get impatient and don't finish things. I still just mostly doodle off to the side while I'm working sometimes and occasionally come back and try to clean things up. I think I still tend to draw too dark initially, so it ends up being difficult for me to erase and clean later. As arcane mentioned early on too, I think I'm not too confident in my lines, so I end up drawing by scratching back and forth too much and going over things repeatedly. More gestures would probably help that, but I still haven't taken the time to seek out good images to practice from.
Old 01-11-2005, 12:20 PM   #16
Plain4Comics

I love it I really really like them, though there still not as messy as mine :P
do you have more?
Old 01-11-2005, 04:49 PM   #17
Steasaurus
rawr

Old 01-11-2005, 04:52 PM   #18
DN
I'm standing behind you.

Clearly one of my better moments.
Old 01-11-2005, 04:54 PM   #19
Steasaurus
rawr

I like it the blank look reminds me of those spirit things from mononoke...
Old 02-27-2005, 04:53 PM   #20
DN
I'm standing behind you.

Well, I decided to pull this from page 4 to add these most recent things. I also started my life drawing classes last week, so I should have a lot more to add as the class progresses. I'll need to scan a few things later this week.

Last edited by DN : 03-18-2005 at 02:48 PM.