Go Back   Polykarbon Art Forum > GALLERY > Sketchbooks
Register FAQ Members List Arcade IRC Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-15-2005, 05:39 PM   #1
Boogieman
Karbonite

Default Boogieman's sketchpad (some nudity)

Hey, this is my first post ever on Polykarbon. I just recently started drawing again after not having touched my pencils in years and I'm re-realizing how much fun it is. I very much want to improve and I thought a pk sketchpad of my own might be a good idea. I'll try and update this topic as often as my talent and creativity allows me.

Today I drew some hairless old men and a little bunny rabbit.

Any constructive criticism will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks.

Edit: replaced poor quality photo with decent scan.

-Boogieman

Last edited by Boogieman : 08-26-2005 at 05:00 PM.
Boogieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2005, 04:04 PM   #2
Boogieman
Karbonite

Default Flower man

I've been drawing below my skill for the last two days and I hate it. I blame it on having to spend most of my days studying, that sort of thing can be really uninspiring.

Anyway this is what I did today. Doing what I can to dodge drawing human anatomy I made a little flower man this time. And people, please, I need some feedback. Even if you just wanna tell me I suck that's allright, just say something.

Last edited by Boogieman : 08-20-2005 at 03:52 AM. Reason: Replacing thumb with fullscale
Old 08-18-2005, 02:34 PM   #3
Boogieman
Karbonite

Some random from today.

Still no bodies, cept for the blob. I'm gonna give figure drawing a dedicated effort and I'll post my progress on here.

Last edited by Boogieman : 08-20-2005 at 03:53 AM.
Old 08-20-2005, 03:55 AM   #4
Boogieman
Karbonite

Default Poses

Since last time I've been drawing poses. I followed the action pose tutorial here on PK and I drew some ladies from reference (victoria's secret). Also I tried to pose a character of my own from imagination. It didn't turn out very well...

Old 08-20-2005, 04:08 AM   #5
gunvalkyrie
Got Stoicism?

Send a message via AIM to gunvalkyrie

I like the poses... especially the guy with the guns. The first pic in the thread reminds me of the "Hitman." Cool stuff.
gunvalkyrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2005, 02:25 PM   #6
Boogieman
Karbonite

Thanks for the reply. Can't really take credit for those action poses tho as I bit them straight from tutorials here at polykarbon. If you're interested you can find em here.
Old 08-20-2005, 04:22 PM   #7
Lights_Darkness
As seen on newgrounds!

Send a message via AIM to Lights_Darkness Send a message via MSN to Lights_Darkness Send a message via Yahoo to Lights_Darkness

i like your style on the wemons posses are you going to finish them or leave em as is ?

Azmodeus-WTH . . .
I corrected what was wrong because I figured if you saw what mistakes you were commiting you might not make them again. Run it through a spell checker next time.
Me-you say I was the one who made the mistake and If I was shown what I did wrong I wouldnt do it again right.your the man who just corrected a endless amount of spelling problems for no reason who really made the mistake in that one
Lights_Darkness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2005, 05:06 AM   #8
Boogieman
Karbonite

Lights_Darkness:
Those women were drawn more as a study than anything else and I don't plan to ink em or anything like that, atleast not right now. I'll probably return to those photo references at one time or another tho and try do draw one of them proper. If you liked the ladies, there's more here

Here's some recent poses. I switched to a larger sketchbook last night and I'm liking the extra space I got. Feels more comfortable drawing.

First scan are some poses drawn using reference from movie stars. Second scan is drawn from imagination without using reference.

Full-scale image

I draw all of these with very simplified anatomy making em look more like
mannikins than like people, also I didn't render anything (obviously), just plain lineart. I feel like proportions on the lower legs of all these guys are a little off, and the runner and hurdle-leaper didn't come out quite as dynamic as I had hoped. All in all I'm satisfied with the result tho, I feel I atleast have made progress since my first posing studies.

Last edited by Boogieman : 08-21-2005 at 05:17 AM.
Old 08-22-2005, 06:55 PM   #9
Boogieman
Karbonite

Tonight I did a study of the human skull. I drew the outline and prominent features lineart-style and after that did my best to render the shapes by shading. Drawing these two views was real intense learning wise. After having done the anterior view I had to take a half hour break before continuing.

Full-scale image here.

Drawing them taught me alot. I spent about 3 hours on them in total and they were some of the most educational 3 hours I ever spent drawing. If anyone else wants to do a skull study you can find some great reference images here.
Old 08-23-2005, 01:33 AM   #10
hezzart
Blue Katamari

Send a message via MSN to hezzart

Great job on the skull, I couldnt draw realistic skulls to save my life. I can draw iddly fiddly cute manga one's though :3
hezzart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2005, 08:37 PM   #11
Boogieman
Karbonite

Thanks Hezzart! I snuck a peek at your progress thread and I gotta say you don't exactly suck yourself

I've been doing some more skull studies. I got two plates, on from yesterday and one from today. The first one is done from reference, second one is a mix.

Full-scale image here.

Full-scale image here.

In the latter image I challenged myself to draw the skull in an angle from imagination, and afterwards draw another skull in the same angle using reference pictures. It was very educational and made me realize a few things about skull anatomy.

I feel like I've gotten a pretty good feel for the shape of the skull. I learned alot and altho there are heaps more to learn on the subject I'm pretty satisfied for now. I'll probably do one more in depth study tomorrow to finish things up, but after that I'll move on to something else.
Old 08-24-2005, 09:10 PM   #12
gunvalkyrie
Got Stoicism?

Send a message via AIM to gunvalkyrie

Looks like you've been cracking some skulls...Nice. They look good. I may hit up that ref site this weekend...I could probably stand to do some serious anatomical study as will. Cool stuff.

BTW, the shading on the big anterior and lateral view looks great.
gunvalkyrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2005, 09:36 PM   #13
Darkferret
still procrastinator

Send a message via AIM to Darkferret

I like seeing anatomy studies...should do the same..but its late, great skulls,

more pls
Darkferret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2005, 07:19 PM   #14
Boogieman
Karbonite

Thanks for the kind words guys.

As promised I made one last skull study tonight. I started this one out by roughly blocking out the two skulls composed as I had invisioned in my mind, and then turning to reference pictures for help refining the outlines. Part of the purpouse of this study was to improve my skills in rendering forms and shading properly. I don't know how well I succeded tho since I didn't have any decent reference of skulls lit from different angles.

Full-scale image here.

I'll post this in the B&W Art-forum as well to get some crits on my rendering.

I'm gonna lay off skulls for a while now, it's starting to get a little repetitive... We'll see what I'll have for you tomorrow.
Old 08-26-2005, 04:58 PM   #15
Boogieman
Karbonite

Did some poses from imagination. They're probably some sort of dysfunctional circus freak family. Or ballet dancers.

Full-scale image here.

Some things got a little screwed up, like the little kids legs beeing of different length, the big guys forearms looking odd etc. But I'm happy with it anyways. Learned alot, as always :P
Old 08-27-2005, 06:27 PM   #16
Boogieman
Karbonite

Did some more figure drawing from my head today. I'm doing this just to get a better feel for the human body in different positions, and not as an anatomy study (hence the silly-simple anatomy). Still doing some stupid mistakes, but I'm getting better.

Full-scale image here.

This is a bass player I did. Not happy at all with him. I made him seem like a very boring guy, and I don't like the style I drew him in. Looks like something a 16 year old girl might do...

Those jeans are Cheap Monday btw. The dude's an indie superhero :P

Tomorrow I think I'm gonna try my luck with facial expressions. Either that or something else.
Old 08-30-2005, 08:03 PM   #17
Boogieman
Karbonite

Since last time I've been keeping busy drawing heads. Sad thing is I aint got nothing I want to show you... Tonight however I gave faces and expressions a rest and drew this little thing from photo reference.

Full-scale image here.

It's supposed to be Muhammad Ali. But I kinda blew the likeness. I got the shape of the head right, but when drawing the features I made him look cacausian. And I failed to capture that badass look he's got in the picture too. I just ain't good at faces.

I'm gonna post this in the WIP also.
Old 08-30-2005, 08:23 PM   #18
Darkferret
still procrastinator

I'd recommend some shading or more emphasis on non-anatomy study pieces (the last one). Your style seems very precise, I used to be the, but now i have a loose style (no important). anyways, if planning and blocking help you keep it up, but for something like getting Muhammid Ali to look right i think if goes to getting the gesture and a fit of feeling in there, not just the picture.

just my opinion, take it or leave it. Faces...well id say keep up with studies, stince you seem to have the skull down, try looking at people and refs and drawing their face and decide how their skull looks... i dunno... worth a shot for practice if you have the time.

You are really good so keep it up, like i said in my last post. keep improving.

old ones ^
Old 08-31-2005, 05:23 PM   #19
Boogieman
Karbonite

Thank you very much for the suggestions and for the kind words Darkferret! I took you up on some of em. Did this face study today of a famous rapper and put some effort in to rendering it. I think I caught I decent resemblance, altho the original has a more protruding chin.

I switched medium for this drawing as well. I made it using a sanguine colored oil-based pencil from this company called Pitt. It's much better than a regular pencil in that it doesn't smudge easily and it looks sexier than plain gray. I'd prefer something with a softer lead tho, to create smoother renderings. Anyone got a suggestion as to what I should buy? I can't get Prismacolor in Sweden.

BTW, Can anyone tell who it's supposed to be? If not, sneek a peek at my reference.
Old 08-31-2005, 08:32 PM   #20
Darkferret
still procrastinator

wow, thats amaizing, i agree, totally different, than just plain grey, not sure on what you should get though.

Someone round here ought to have a suggestion though

old ones ^